Uses for Linux "Server"

Wtalk2

Hey LTT, I recentely came across a used laptop that I have decided to install Linux on it (Ubuntu) and use it as a light server. 

The laptop's specs are:

Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz

4GB RAM

160GB HDD

I already set-up an Apache2 webserver on it with ownCloud (ownCloud is a piece of software to make your own cloud server like Google Drive or Dropbox) and it has been running well but put's next to no stress on the computer so I have come here to ask you guys for suggestions on what things I could do with this machine (I would like to keep the Cloud Server though and I would also like to keep it on Ubuntu).

Leave your suggestions below :)

PS: Nothing that will stress the machine to 100% please since it is a laptop and it doesn't exactly have great cooling.

My Current Build: 

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.11V, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Asus GTX 760 DCII Overclocked, Corsair CX600M

i was thinking about doing this with my old laptop but then i found out about bittorrent sync and now i just use that and also i use bittorent sync mainly to make my school stuff like papers and such available to all my devices which most cloud software can do but sync is much easier in my opinon 

Christian and Proud of it

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

i was thinking about doing this with my old laptop but then i found out about bittorrent sync and now i just use that and also i use bittorent sync mainly to make my school stuff like papers and such available to all my devices which most cloud software can do but sync is much easier in my opinon 

I have used Google Drive for a while but it is a lot nicer to have like 130GB instead of just 15GB (Good for storing large music collections and movies)

PS: Just realized that Bittorrent Sync has no size limits but it is still beta and it was fun to make my own :P

My Current Build: 

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.11V, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Asus GTX 760 DCII Overclocked, Corsair CX600M

I have used Google Drive for a while but it is a lot nicer to have like 130GB instead of just 15GB (Good for storing large music collections and movies)

yes good point,but if i am not mistaken bittorent sync does not have a limit on storage 

Please read the CoC                                                                                                                                                                                                                              My Build Log 

yes good point,but if i am not mistaken bittorent sync does not have a limit on storage 

Just realized that :P Updated my post.

My Current Build: 

Just realized that :P Updated my post.

true it may have been fun but when i use sync i have had no problems with it yet even though it is beta actually i tried to install it on my ubuntu laptop and i could not find out how any where on the internet at least for 13.10

true it may have been fun but when i use sync i have had no problems with it yet even though it is beta actually i tried to install it on my ubuntu laptop and i could not find out how any where on the internet at least for 13.10

So if I was to start using Sync instead of having my own, what other uses do you think I could use this for?

My Current Build: 

So if I was to start using Sync instead of having my own, what other uses do you think I could use this for?

i do not know i use it to store like i said my school files and folders and my tv shows and that is it so far i do not have any other uses ATM but it is nice to have the option to upload anything easily and if you have other mobile devices you can use your stuff from there too so like tv show you can watch them from your mobile device which is pretty cool

i do not know i use it to store like i said my school files and folders and my tv shows and that is it so far i do not have any other uses ATM but it is nice to have the option to upload anything easily and if you have other mobile devices you can use your stuff from there too so like tv show you can watch them from your mobile device which is pretty cool

Quick question, am I able to access my files on Bittorrent Sync through a web client or do I have to download the full client?

My Current Build: 

Quick question, am I able to access my files on Bittorrent Sync through a web client or do I have to download the full client?

download it on windows but i believe there is a way to set it up through a web client but that is on ubuntu

download it on windows but i believe there is a way to set it up through a web client but that is on ubuntu

:( that won't work for me then because I would use it to access school work from school computers which I can't download anything on :(

My Current Build: 

:( that won't work for me then because I would use it to access school work from school computers which I can't download anything on :(

well i know dropbox and google drive have web clients but if the server you set up has a web client then i would just keep it the way you have it

well i know dropbox and google drive have web clients but if the server you set up has a web client then i would just keep it the way you have it

Ya Google Drive's web client worked great for me and I find my Web Client works even better for me :)

My Current Build: 

Ya Google Drive's web client worked great for me and I find my Web Client works even better for me :)

well then good luck and let me know how the server works out and if it was hard to make, because i may consider doing that to my old laptop which i converted to a ubuntu laptop which made it soooooooo unusable with windows 7 but with ubuntu it is so usable not one problem since i wiped my hard drive and install ubuntu on it 

Anyone else have any suggestions for what to do with this server?

My Current Build: 

well then good luck and let me know how the server works out and if it was hard to make, because i may consider doing that to my old laptop which i converted to a ubuntu laptop which made it soooooooo unusable with windows 7 but with ubuntu it is so usable not one problem since i wiped my hard drive and install ubuntu on it 

It was actually quite easy, I can provide the links I used if you want them :) 

PS: If you want to checkout the interface you can quickly log onto mine and check it out. PM me if you want to.

My Current Build: 

Learn to use the VI editor.

Learn to shell script, bash, csh, sh, ksh, zsh, etc. Internet cookies if you learn Zoidberg Shell

Learn to program, C, C++, OOC, Perl, Python, etc.

Learn it all!

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Learn to use the VI editor.

Learn to shell script, bash, csh, sh, ksh, zsh, etc. Internet cookies if you learn Zoidberg Shell

Learn to program, C, C++, OOC, Perl, Python, etc.

Learn it all!

Lol, all in good time :)

My Current Build: