CPU bent pins

Dragoonski

Can’t say there is really a whole lot to describe. And I already know I’m not the smartest for why it happened. I just want to know what I should do/where I should go. Any info is helpful :) (it’s a 3700x if it matters) 

let me know if more images would help. But the pins are bent max 45-60degrees and it’s about a dozen or so of them bent at the corner. 

6E427CF8-5D8C-4D73-AC33-56A03E4F1683.jpeg

IMO it is not the end of the world.

Just sit down and straighten them, very carefully. Be absolutely sure to not bend them back and forth multiple times. While fragile this pins can survive even multiple "incidents" like this, as long as you are careful.

If you break one then this is bad, but not the end of the world either. They can be soldered back (which obviously requires a professional at this point) and not all of them are even used/needed.

3 minutes ago, Archer42 said:

IMO it is not the end of the world.

Just sit down and straighten them, very carefully. Be absolutely sure to not bend them back and forth multiple times. While fragile this pins can survive even multiple "incidents" like this, as long as you are careful.

If you break one then this is bad, but not the end of the world either. They can be soldered back (which obviously requires a professional at this point) and not all of them are even used/needed.

How straight do I need to get them? Like fairly close but not necessarily perfect? As that’s the best I can really due (I have moderately shaky hands due to medical reasons but it’s not too bad that I wouldn’t try it just not doctor-like precision) 

1 minute ago, Dragoonski said:

How straight do I need to get them? Like fairly close but not necessarily perfect? As that’s the best I can really due (I have moderately shaky hands due to medical reasons but it’s not too bad that I wouldn’t try it just not doctor-like precision) 

best way is to use something slim, like a credit card and gently work it in between then pins and gently put pressure to straighten them out. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

3 minutes ago, Dragoonski said:

They have to fit into holes in socket, nothing more.

Since everything is so small it will mean very close, but obviously not 100% perfect.

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

best way is to use something slim, like a credit card and gently work it in between then pins and gently put pressure to straighten them out. 

I have a IFixIt tweezer that I was using to get them straight at the time (as I have started and made a bit of progress so far). I’ll see if a credit card helps finish it and get em extremely closer (I’ll send a picture of my progress in the morning) 

I just got through straightening bent pins on a motherboard using the tip of an Exacto knife and jewelers eye piece.

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

Alrighty update time, I got the pins quite straight and it seated fine (I hope) and didn’t give me any issues and went right into place. I went on to assemble the rest of my machine and now in front of me sits my tower on, but not displaying at all. My post checker (ASrock) says something is wrong but that’s sadly all the indication that it gives according to the manual. Before I go tearing it apart anyone want to give some possibilities based upon what information I can give: 

it does actually turn on and all the fans spin up including the GPU. None of my peripherals appear to be getting any power and Ethernet does not have an activity light. 

image.jpg

Take the motherboard out and make sure the CPU is sitting flat against the socket.

One of the pins might be snagged on something.

elephants

17 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Take the motherboard out and make sure the CPU is sitting flat against the socket.

One of the pins might be snagged on something.

All the pins look good, can’t seem to find anything wrong in that regard.