Setting up a modded minecraft server at home

Deuxez

So i got some left over parts from my current PC after ive upgraded it. Currently got a ryzen 3 2200g, 2x4 2666mhz, basic a320m, some 300w PSU and some random old hard drives. these things are currently just laying around my room, and i thought id use them for a modded minecraft server for around 1-4 players. Im sure this will be possible as ive hosted a modded minecraft server before on my own PC, while also playing on it. Im experienced when it comes to setting it up, so thats not an issue. What im wondering is what OS i should use to maximize server performance. Im currently thinking Linux mint or ubuntu, but anyone else got any recommendations? Id also like to use remote access for it, so i dont have to have an entire extra setup in the corner of my room just for the server. What program should i use? If possible, id like to start the server from my own pc too, but i guess ill need some sort of special card for it.

So in short:

I need a easy-to-use remote access program.

I need an OS for the server.

Id also like to know of any other useful programs i could use.

EDIT: i should also note that im not planning on using big or heavy modpacks for it. Maybe something like Create 3 and stoneblock or something like those, as even my main pc cant run any other modpacks without suffering.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id use ssh for remote access, easy to use, supported well, pretty secure.

I saw that its text-based, and i aint really THAT good at remote access. Is it hard to use for someone like me? Id like for it to be more like teamviewer, so you get the entire screen etc while not being as resource hungry.

1 minute ago, DankDeuxez said:

I saw that its text-based, and i aint really THAT good at remote access. Is it hard to use for someone like me? Id like for it to be more like teamviewer, so you get the entire screen etc while not being as resource hungry.

Yea its text only, but for ubuntu server its really the only thing you need. Basically all server setup in linux is in the terminal, so having a gui really won't help much. Id try using only ssd.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea its text only, but for ubuntu server its really the only thing you need. Basically all server setup in linux is in the terminal, so having a gui really won't help much. Id try using only ssd.

Ah yeah now that you mention it. I guess ill just have to sit at the actual server for when im moving mod files etc. I could use SSH for just general commands etc.

3 minutes ago, DankDeuxez said:

Ah yeah now that you mention it. I guess ill just have to sit at the actual server for when im moving mod files etc. I could use SSH for just general commands etc.

There are many command line text editors you can use.

ALso you could just make a files share so you can edit the files from your desktop, and copy it over when your done editing it.

1.7.10 is best for mod server... many videos online shows you how to set it up.

8 minutes ago, GenTitan said:

1.7.10 is best for mod server... many videos online shows you how to set it up.

Im going to use 1.16.4 for the server just because its the version Create 3 supports. I also dont like to use older minecraft versions just because im used to the new mechanics.