Questions about AIO

Myrium

Heya! Several times this forum helped me on the journey to assemble my build after so many years, which I decided to go with an AIO cooling (Cooler Master 240L).

At first I could hear a humming sound from time to time and very rarely sound of liquid going around. So searching around I assumed it was bubbles. Regarding thermals, it was around 40 C with chrome and couple stuff running.

Today I decided to move the AIO a little bit to the side (was too close to the rear fan) and moved the pump around just to be sure any bubble would go away).

Indeed I didn't hear anything else than the normal humming of the pump, but I'm a little worries if I had screwed the thermals, now with some normal usage, it's staying between 40 and 50 C. During gaming I could see fans were to 100% and the CPU didn't go past 73 C, so I assume it's working properly.

Just to be sure, are those temps normal?

PS: my specs

• MSI B550 Gaming EDGE WIFI

• Ryzen 5 3600

• RIPJAWS 3600Mhz 16GB x2

• Gigabyte RTX 3070 Ventus

• CoolerMaster AIO 240L

• Samsung EVO 970 1TB

• Fractal Meshify 2

PS2: pic of my build

I'm hoping "moved the pump around" meant "gave it a little shake" to move the bubbles out of the pump?

73C isn't bad at all, 100% fans isn't great but if that's how your fan curves are set and you don't mind the noise you do you. 

a little bit of aeration can happen when you move parts in AIOs this is caused by air trapped in microfins on the CPU coldplate (plate in contact with the CPU) and can temporarily increase the temps a small amount until all the bubbles settle in the radiator. The pump moves the fluid fast enough that the bubbles stay in the fluid even after they are in the rad where they will eventually end up.

If you took off the block and remounted it you should have cleaned and changed the thermal paste to avoid any gaps or empty spots which often happen when removing the block and remounting without a clean and replace. This would absolutely increase temps as there won't be as much block surface in contact with the CPU, this is also the perfect time to upgrade the thermal paste to something like Kryonaut which can improve your temps by 2-5C as well. 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

11 minutes ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

I'm hoping "moved the pump around" meant "gave it a little shake" to move the bubbles out of the pump?

73C isn't bad at all, 100% fans isn't great but if that's how your fan curves are set and you don't mind the noise you do you. 

a little bit of aeration can happen when you move parts in AIOs this is caused by air trapped in microfins on the CPU coldplate (plate in contact with the CPU) and can temporarily increase the temps a small amount until all the bubbles settle in the radiator. The pump moves the fluid fast enough that the bubbles stay in the fluid even after they are in the rad where they will eventually end up.

If you took off the block and remounted it you should have cleaned and changed the thermal paste to avoid any gaps or empty spots which often happen when removing the block and remounting without a clean and replace. This would absolutely increase temps as there won't be as much block surface in contact with the CPU, this is also the perfect time to upgrade the thermal paste to something like Kryonaut which can improve your temps by 2-5C as well. 

Sort of, I moved the radiator and fans a little bit to the side (still keeping it at the top of the case) in order to be further away from the rear fan, then removed the pump and tilted to force any bubbles to go out.

Thanks for the tip regarding the thermal paste! I haven't replaced, I will try later remove the pump again and cleaning it + the processor and reapplying. On another note, what temps should I be worried? Would 40-50 C be fine when just browsing around? Searching around I have no clue how people can keep it on 30 C

2 hours ago, Myrium said:

Thanks for the tip regarding the thermal paste! I haven't replaced, I will try later remove the pump again and cleaning it + the processor and reapplying. On another note, what temps should I be worried? Would 40-50 C be fine when just browsing around? Searching around I have no clue how people can keep it on 30 C

~30c often is in air conditioned rooms where the incoming air temp is 21c and the rad is an intake or they have aftermarket fans for better pressure through the fins of the rad. 

Anything under 100c under full load is safe for the processor, idle temps and light use temps really depend on airflow and the background processes of the system so looking into how windows debloater and your fan curves are set will make a big difference in temps. You should strive for balanced airflow so equal rpm and mm's of fans in and out of the case will reduce negative pressure zones(lack of air molecules to take on heat) and turbulence (air trapped just absorbing heat rather than leaving the case) 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

22 hours ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

~30c often is in air conditioned rooms where the incoming air temp is 21c and the rad is an intake or they have aftermarket fans for better pressure through the fins of the rad. 

Anything under 100c under full load is safe for the processor, idle temps and light use temps really depend on airflow and the background processes of the system so looking into how windows debloater and your fan curves are set will make a big difference in temps. You should strive for balanced airflow so equal rpm and mm's of fans in and out of the case will reduce negative pressure zones(lack of air molecules to take on heat) and turbulence (air trapped just absorbing heat rather than leaving the case) 

Got it, thank you very much, will reapply the thermal paste and double check the fans