CPU weird down throttling

Hellios09

Hi guys,

Got a weird problem with my PC, it's started around 2-3 months ago and it becoming worse.

Here is my congif:

CPU: Intel 6700k (clocked at 4.1GHZ)

CPU cooler: Corsair H115i 

GPU: MSI Gaming trio 3060 TI

Mobo: Asus Z170-A

Ram: 16gb 3000mhz

PSU: EVGA G2 750w Gold

image.png.e91cbb2854d576081ce6955ca69b4aa7.png

I build the PC in 2016, just upgrade the GPU in december. I didn't have any problem before hand.

I did a fresh restart from the pc at the end of december since i got a new M.2.

So the problem is I got some really heavy down clocking on my CPU going down to 823mhz...

unknown.png

It can happen when i boot the pc, seems fine at first but after everything load CPU can go randomly all the way down to 823MHZ and get stuck there until i reboot. When the CPU seems stable enough it may happens sometimes when i'm opening a game. 

image.png.b106eb52415d3efdc9c85614e671ab3d.png

The point is, I got no problem with the CPU temps, in iddle they're around 33C and on load goes around 67C, i deactivated the ECO mode on the PSU and set the power setting to high performance

image.png.b0db10971d683156ed6d73e60b0e7e23.png

The weird thing is, the CPU goes back to "normal" when i close the game, but not right away. There is a weird saturation color changing juste before the CPU goes back to normal, i tried to figure out what could change it, but i'm totally lost.

The main software i had on the computer is GeForce Experience, MSI Dragon Center(i uninstalled it), CAM from NZXT, Corsair Link (for my AIO). I check with the video card to know if the problem could come from there, and i reinstall all the Nvidia drivers.

I'm not sure if it's simply an hardware problems, some of my USB port had some little glitch from time to time, could it be that my mobo is dying?

Anyway thats about it,

Thanks to anyone that could help me!

22 minutes ago, Hellios09 said:

Hi guys,

Got a weird problem with my PC, it's started around 2-3 months ago and it becoming worse.

Here is my congif:

CPU: Intel 6700k (clocked at 4.1GHZ)

CPU cooler: Corsair H115i 

GPU: MSI Gaming trio 3060 TI

Mobo: Asus Z170-A

Ram: 16gb 3000mhz

PSU: EVGA G2 750w Gold

image.png.e91cbb2854d576081ce6955ca69b4aa7.png

I build the PC in 2016, just upgrade the GPU in december. I didn't have any problem before hand.

I did a fresh restart from the pc at the end of december since i got a new M.2.

So the problem is I got some really heavy down clocking on my CPU going down to 823mhz...

unknown.png

It can happen when i boot the pc, seems fine at first but after everything load CPU can go randomly all the way down to 823MHZ and get stuck there until i reboot. When the CPU seems stable enough it may happens sometimes when i'm opening a game. 

image.png.b106eb52415d3efdc9c85614e671ab3d.png

The point is, I got no problem with the CPU temps, in iddle they're around 33C and on load goes around 67C, i deactivated the ECO mode on the PSU and set the power setting to high performance

image.png.b0db10971d683156ed6d73e60b0e7e23.png

The weird thing is, the CPU goes back to "normal" when i close the game, but not right away. There is a weird saturation color changing juste before the CPU goes back to normal, i tried to figure out what could change it, but i'm totally lost.

The main software i had on the computer is GeForce Experience, MSI Dragon Center(i uninstalled it), CAM from NZXT, Corsair Link (for my AIO). I check with the video card to know if the problem could come from there, and i reinstall all the Nvidia drivers.

I'm not sure if it's simply an hardware problems, some of my USB port had some little glitch from time to time, could it be that my mobo is dying?

Anyway thats about it,

Thanks to anyone that could help me!

I would double check your BIOS settings for any power saving features that are enabled. Stuff like Enhanced Intel Speedstep® Technology I believe would clock down your CPU for optimal power consumption and thermals at low workloads. In high workloads as your graph shows, when your CPU is being taxed, your clocks will remain at 4.1GHz. During idle, it'll fluctuate between 4.1GHz and 800MHz as demanded by what's being run.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

1 hour ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I would double check your BIOS settings for any power saving features that are enabled. Stuff like Enhanced Intel Speedstep® Technology I believe would clock down your CPU for optimal power consumption and thermals at low workloads. In high workloads as your graph shows, when your CPU is being taxed, your clocks will remain at 4.1GHz. During idle, it'll fluctuate between 4.1GHz and 800MHz as demanded by what's being run.

I went and had "fun" in the BIOS trying different options, seems if i disable the speedStep or speed shift the pc simply won't boot anymore.

At the end, I set everything back to default, no OC no anything, now the clock speed seems stables.

image.png.3ab089a7e8256a52efbc172463789184.png

I'm not really sure but it might be my CPU slowly dying.

Anyway, thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

One thing you should consider is Intel suggests that you use an air cooler that pushes air down towards the CPU and MB.

The cooler you are using only cools the CPU and neglects the voltage regulators that feed the CPU.

An example of a proper cooler based on Intel's TAC 2.0 spec. would be the Noctua NH-L9x65

NH%2DL9X65.jpg

1 minute ago, GroundRod said:

One thing you should consider is Intel suggests that you use an air cooler that pushes air down towards the CPU and MB.

The cooler you are using only cools the CPU and neglects the voltage regulators the feed the CPU.

An example of a proper cooler based on Intel's TAC 2.0 spec. would be the Noctua NH-L9x65

NH%2DL9X65.jpg

I got 4x 140 ML Fan and a 120ML fan at the rear, I know having a front AIO is not the best, but the case won't fit a 280MM on top, but i still receive a lot of air flow from all those fans, the temps on the board are around 48C in a stress test, on the other hand the CPU is at 81C. I guess the cooling for the mobo is aright. 

I think it's more a CPU problems, thanks for the advice

10 minutes ago, Hellios09 said:

I got 4x 140 ML Fan and a 120ML fan at the rear, I know having a front AIO is not the best, but the case won't fit a 280MM on top, but i still receive a lot of air flow from all those fans, the temps on the board are around 48C in a stress test, on the other hand the CPU is at 81C. I guess the cooling for the mobo is aright. 

I think it's more a CPU problems, thanks for the advice

If you look at the TAC spec, Intel also talks about how the air flow should be and warns that having front intake fans can cause a positive pressure in the case which raises temps.

Have a look at it...

thermally-advantaged-chassis-design-guide.pdf