Oculus Quest 2 USB Cable Support?

piemadd
Go to solution Solved by Senzelian,

The USB forum introduced a lot of confusion within the tech communites with the introduction of USB 3.1 and 3.2

Here's the thing tho, 5Gb/s is the bare minimum of any USB 3 standard, so you shouldn't worry.

The longer answer involves the USB specification changes in recent months and years. We went from USB 3.0, 3.1 to USB 3.1 Gen 1 and USB 3.1 Gen 2 and then got rid of all USB 3.1 specification and are officially now at USB 3.2 Gen 1, USB 3.2 Gen 2 and USB 3.2 Gen 2x2. This is so ridiculous, that I added all the necessary specs into my signature.

Now depending on when the product information was last updated, USB 3.1 Gen 1 either means 5Gbps or 10Gbps. Either way, you'll be fine, as only 5Gbps are required, which even the most basic USB 3.0 cable from 5 years ago can carry. Important to note is the length tho. Longer lengths can lead to signal loss, so a high quality cable is always advantageous.

Current USB specs:

05Gb/s - USB 3.2 Gen 1 (was known as USB 3.0 and USB 3.1 Gen 1 before)

10Gb/s - USB 3.2 Gen 2 (was known as USB 3.1 Gen 2 before)

20Gb/s - USB 3.2 Gen 2x2

40Gb/s - USB 4.0, Thunderbolt 3, Thunderbolt 4

So I recently got a Quest 2 and it surprising arrived in just 5 days (was only on backorder for a day with newegg) and it arrived today, before I realized I never ordered a cable for the headset. I do plan on ordering one from anker to arrive in a few days, but want to at least get something temporary which will suit me well until it arrives. I started checking around the specs of the official quest link cable when i saw something which I just wanted to confirm. The official cable is USB 3.2 Gen 2 (5 Gbps) (see figure 1) but a shorter (and cheaper) cable from microcenter is only 3.1 gen 1, while still having 5Gbps of capacity. (see figure 2). 

Would the cable from microcenter still work at the same speed as the quest link cable? Also do note this is a temporary solution so just a small bit of quality/frame loss is fine to me.

Fig 1:

image.png.5163f005ac47e24562e5513a5d839bbe.png

Fig 2:

image.png.3f5796ace424dd5394896a420201cb15.png

image.png.c6ba5d5a619dd8b107d801545ed324ee.png

i like trains 🙂

The USB forum introduced a lot of confusion within the tech communites with the introduction of USB 3.1 and 3.2

Here's the thing tho, 5Gb/s is the bare minimum of any USB 3 standard, so you shouldn't worry.

The longer answer involves the USB specification changes in recent months and years. We went from USB 3.0, 3.1 to USB 3.1 Gen 1 and USB 3.1 Gen 2 and then got rid of all USB 3.1 specification and are officially now at USB 3.2 Gen 1, USB 3.2 Gen 2 and USB 3.2 Gen 2x2. This is so ridiculous, that I added all the necessary specs into my signature.

Now depending on when the product information was last updated, USB 3.1 Gen 1 either means 5Gbps or 10Gbps. Either way, you'll be fine, as only 5Gbps are required, which even the most basic USB 3.0 cable from 5 years ago can carry. Important to note is the length tho. Longer lengths can lead to signal loss, so a high quality cable is always advantageous.

Current USB specs:

05Gb/s - USB 3.2 Gen 1 (was known as USB 3.0 and USB 3.1 Gen 1 before)

10Gb/s - USB 3.2 Gen 2 (was known as USB 3.1 Gen 2 before)

20Gb/s - USB 3.2 Gen 2x2

40Gb/s - USB 4.0, Thunderbolt 3, Thunderbolt 4

10 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

This is so ridiculous, that I added all the necessary specs into my signature.

I remember watching some video on the standards changing but got so confused I just changed if off. Thanks though!

i like trains 🙂

Personally would only use that short cable to setup Virtual Desktop Streaming instead. You'll only really need the cable for SideQuest to sideload Virtual Desktop. It's a bit involved, but if you've got a solid 5GHz WiFi setup, you might not ever need to use a physical cable for Oculus Link: https://uploadvr.com/how-to-play-pc-vr-oculus-quest-2/

1 hour ago, SPARTAN VI said:

Personally would only use that short cable to setup Virtual Desktop Streaming instead. You'll only really need the cable for SideQuest to sideload Virtual Desktop. It's a bit involved, but if you've got a solid 5GHz WiFi setup, you might not ever need to use a physical cable for Oculus Link: https://uploadvr.com/how-to-play-pc-vr-oculus-quest-2/

Yeah I was going to do that til I remembered the 5GHz wifi drops off in my room and 2.4 wouldn't cut it. I'm debating about just getting a 5GHz WAP for my room which could also help my other devices but since it will just be cheaper to get something from anker/aliexpress im probably going to go that route

i like trains 🙂