What Linux for old Windows XP dell

Wqwe pumpkin
Go to solution Solved by Wqwe pumpkin,

I am going to install a lightweight Linux kernel on old Dell Dimension 4600.

Cpu: Pentium 4 2.66 ghz

Gpu: FX 5200

Ram: 2x256mb

Over 80 gbs of hard drive storage.

What would be a good Kernal to install for single tasking and emulating 8 and 16 bit games. It currently has Windows XP installed.

What would be a good Kernal to install for single tasking and emulating 8 and 16 bit games. It currently has Windows XP installed.

Lubuntu is probably the best OOTB choice for an older system.

Even better, go with Arch and build your own environment from scratch. You can keep it as lightweight as you want.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

My normal recommendation would be Mint, but that's a pretty heavy load for a single core P4 without Hyper-Threading. I would try Lubuntu and see if that works for you. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

My advise, as someone who spend nearly 2 years installing Linux on precisely those kind of systems is Devuan. Forget anything with systemd, (which is most (if not all) of the mainstream Linux distro's) because it's too slow. When I initially started at the project we used Linux Mint and we did 2 systems PER DAY. After I made the switch to Devuan, as well as some hardware upgrades to the network (which network?!! Right, the one I'd build for the purpose 😛 ) we could do dozens! We didn't, as our supply of these systems was considerable but still limited, so my co-worker and I took the lazy route 😉

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

20 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

My advise, as someone who spend nearly 2 years installing Linux on precisely those kind of systems is Devuan. Forget anything with systemd, (which is most (if not all) of the mainstream Linux distro's) because it's too slow. When I initially started at the project we used Linux Mint and we did 2 systems PER DAY. After I made the switch to Devuan, as well as some hardware upgrades to the network (which network?!! Right, the one I'd build for the purpose 😛 ) we could do dozens! We didn't, as our supply of these systems was considerable but still limited, so my co-worker and I took the lazy route 😉

I've never even heard of that distro.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

When I went to lubuntu it said that the latest version is not in 32 bit should I not use lubunto then or use it until April when they drop support

2 minutes ago, Wqwe pumpkin said:

When I went to lubuntu it said that the latest version is not in 32 bit should I not use lubunto then or use it until April when they drop support

If the system doesn't support X64 (some later P4s do support it) then the latest version of Lubuntu (or any Debian based distro) you can run is 18.04.

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

I've never even heard of that distro

You're welcome 🙂 

Best way to describe it is Debian w/o systemd. Lags a bit behind Debian as it obviously doesn't have the amount of dev's, but usually a new Devuan release comes not long after a Debian release.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2021 at 5:31 PM, Wqwe pumpkin said:

id'd try Lubuntu or Puppy Linux.

"Many computer users often find themselves the victim of 105mm armor piercing discarding sabot fin stabilized rounds shot at their computer"

*although i try my best, don't expect me to be right 100% of the time.