PC facelift

More a facelift than a new build.
I have a home server which is an HP elitedesk 800 g2 in a small form factor. It's the sort with low profile PCIE slots.
I want to migrate this to a 2U rackmount case to tidy things up a bit and also give it a bit more breathing room as the case is pretty stuffed.

its an i7 6700 with 32Gb RAM
3 PCIe slots, SAS controller, Quad Ethernet, USB card.
only need 2 HDD connected to the motherboard,

the rest are on the SAS card.

Does anyone know what I will need to replace on this?
I'm not sure if the motherboard  / PSU is standard, but if it's not what do people recommend?

Power efficiency is a key thing and it does say the existing power supply is platinum.

24 minutes ago, daninmanchester said:

More a facelift than a new build.
I have a home server which is an HP elitedesk 800 g2 in a small form factor. It's the sort with low profile PCIE slots.
I want to migrate this to a 2U rackmount case to tidy things up a bit and also give it a bit more breathing room as the case is pretty stuffed.

its an i7 6700 with 32Gb RAM
3 PCIe slots, SAS controller, Quad Ethernet, USB card.
only need 2 HDD connected to the motherboard,

the rest are on the SAS card.

Does anyone know what I will need to replace on this?
I'm not sure if the motherboard  / PSU is standard, but if it's not what do people recommend?

Power efficiency is a key thing and it does say the existing power supply is platinum.

Most of those rackmount cases, like here: https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100008044 600006424

Are going to be pretty varied, depending on your needs. The trick here is the HP SFF, such small systems typically mean non-standard layouts. Which makes migration a real challenge.

I think your biggest challenge will be the power supply, it's definitely non-standard in size. And if I am seeing the mobo right on Google, the power connectors aren't standard either, so you have your work cut out for you

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Thanks @Radium_Angel.

That was my thought but I'm so out of date I've not really been in to building PCs for 10 years.

So simplest path would be to buy a standard motherboard and new PSU.
I can probably pick up a motherboard on ebay.

So continuing my thought process ...

If I'm replacing the motherboard, is there an option I can buy that will allow me to upgrade the chip in the future?

I'm thinking Intel Core i7-8700T or Intel Core i7-9700T  to give me similar performance but lower power options.

Or do I just need to bite the bullet now?