Upgraded Ryzen 7 3700x and MSI B550 Tomahawk causing PC freezing issues for 10+ seconds at a time.

Hello,

Over the holidays I upgraded my 5 year old i5 6600 to a Ryzen 7 3700x CPU and got an MSI B550 Tomahawk Motherboard to fit the chip. Everything else is the same.

Specs:

R7 3700x

MSI B550 Tomahawk

GTX 1070 FTW

g-skill something ram (its slow, runs at 2800 mhz)

500gb ssd (holds windows 10)

1tb HDD 

So my pc before the upgrade worked like a charm, only reason for the upgrade was I wanted better multitasking performance when under load.

PC works, but I get different types of freezes that I can not find the reason for. Different types of freezes ranging from system lock ups, to being unable to open or close a task, to spotify audio cutting out but the track timer keeps playing then after some time the track timer goes back to the time the audio cuts out and continues like nothing happened.

In fact, after multiple troubleshooting, even bringing it to the shop, neither I nor the computer repair dude really knows the issue. 

Oh, and by the way, the cpu base clock says 3.6 GHZ, but ive never seen mine run below 3.8, it hovers a 4.

Troubleshooting as follows:

1. half reinstall of windows (the one that keeps the apps but no the settings)

2. Memory test, nothing wrong,

3. SFC scan, "found corrupt files but fixed it"

4. Full reinstall of windows

5. Drives are healthy according to windows

6. Apparently my hdd is faulty (according to the repair man) but it doesnt hold the OS so we unplugged it and rebooted without it, still freezing though

7. the MB had auto ram and cpu overclocking "game boost" features enabled, at first I turned off cpu boost so it wouldnt idle at 4.4Ghz, but he said he saw some ram overclocking when I brought it in and turned it off too, still freezing

8. Limited ram speed from auto to 2800 in bios, still freezing

9.Moved ram from A2, B2 to I think A1,A2 so it acts as single stick?? (he said something to do with, yeah it wont allow full maximization of ram but its a test to see if it still freezes. Well, still freezing.

Now this Ram may not be compatible with the 3700x on the website list, Maybe that has something to do with it?

Other thing is that the Motherboard is faulty?

He denies that the CPU is faulty, hopefully true.

Any help is appreciated, honestly

6 minutes ago, emosun said:

run it with a single stick and see if that stabilizes it

I think he did that with his stick that runs at 2400 Mhz and it didnt work

5 minutes ago, Pretzel12345 said:

I think he did that with his stick that runs at 2400 Mhz and it didnt work

well you should ask and make sure , and try one of the better sticks

6 minutes ago, emosun said:

well you should ask and make sure , and try one of the better sticks

I will ask him as the PC is still in the shop thank you. The thing is, is what are the odds it is memory? and what is wrong with the memory if it worked fine on my i5 and not a faulty mb? Mother board and cpu are the only new items. I ask cause my ram works fine, and task manager says that the ram isnt maxing out? 

Sorry if its a poor question, this is getting past my PC building expertise,

• 3 months later...

Hello @Pretzel12345

Can you update us please ? I actually have the same kind of freeze and the same configuration of MC / CPU.

Thanks a lot !

Aka