Will this work? 1. time builder

Budget (including currency): 1000$

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: LoL; high end single player games (later) and a few fps games; photoshop and some light video editing; maybe streaming again soon

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):

upgrading from a business laptop; already have a decent mouse and keyboard, will upgrade screen soon.

Hi guys and girls!

I've watched a lot of LTT lately and I heard about this forum, so i thought I'd give it a shot. 
I used to stream quite a bit and game. That came to a halt with studying and starting a career. Now I finally have a bit of time again for gaming, and maybe some content editing again, maybe even atreaming again.

My budget is not too tight. Just trying to get something that'll hold up for a couple of years before I have to change parts. 

As this is my first time building, I'm not too sure about compatability and optimization. 

I was thinking about getting an available cheap gpu and upgrade to the newest Nvidia once they're available again and maybe down in price...? 

tldr: former gamer and content creator trying to get back into it.

Build:

Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX, 2x 8gb, 3600

Memory: Samsung EVO 970, m.2 500gb

GPU: ASRock Phantom D Radeon RX 580

Case: Corsair 4000d

Fans: Be quiet! Pure Wings 2 PWM (2x)

PSU: Be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM 700w

My questions:

Does this build make any sense at all? 
Can I simply upgrade from this later on (the gpu)?

is there something I've missed or should take in account for? 

Thanks for your help!

Peter

50 minutes ago, Pete H said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: LoL; high end single player games (later) and a few fps games; photoshop and some light video editing; maybe streaming again soon

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):

upgrading from a business laptop; already have a decent mouse and keyboard, will upgrade screen soon.

Hi guys and girls!

I've watched a lot of LTT lately and I heard about this forum, so i thought I'd give it a shot. 
I used to stream quite a bit and game. That came to a halt with studying and starting a career. Now I finally have a bit of time again for gaming, and maybe some content editing again, maybe even atreaming again.

My budget is not too tight. Just trying to get something that'll hold up for a couple of years before I have to change parts. 

As this is my first time building, I'm not too sure about compatability and optimization. 

I was thinking about getting an available cheap gpu and upgrade to the newest Nvidia once they're available again and maybe down in price...? 

Build:

My questions:

Thanks for your help!

Peter

It will work just fine. The RX 580 is a (now) low end card but for LoL at 1080p or maybe even 1440p, it's still a good card. Upgrading a gpu down the line is easy, almost as easy as plug and play. As for compatibility, everything should work well. Depending on the gpu you're going to upgrade to in the future, you might want a bigger power supply right from the start. If you're planning on going with something like an RX 6800 or RTX 3070, 700W is fine.

It would make sense and it would be easy to upgrade later on. However, unless you already own the rx580 I would suggest going with a card by Nvidia that supports nvenc, this should help with streaming.

Maybe get some slow storage to save gameplay like a big HDD?

PSU tier list // Motherboard tier list // Community Standards 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

1 minute ago, Naijin said:

It will work just fine. The RX 580 is a (now) low end card but for LoL at 1080p or maybe even 1440p, it's still a good card. Upgrading a gpu down the line is easy, almost as easy as plug and play. As for compatibility, everything should work well. Depending on the gpu you're going to upgrade to in the future, you might want a bigger power supply right from the start. If you're planning on going with something like an RX 6800 or RTX 3070, 700W is fine.

Hey there

Thanks for the help! I was actually thing of a 3070. Prices are sky-high right now and I don't know what to look out for with used parts, so i just picked out everything I could out of a local retailerms list...

1 minute ago, martward said:

It would make sense and it would be easy to upgrade later on. However, unless you already own the rx580 I would suggest going with a card by Nvidia that supports nvenc, this should help with streaming.

Maybe get some slow storage to save gameplay like a big HDD?

What GPU would you suggest? Streaming will probably not be right away, but I'm sure greatful for the info. So the rx580 wouldnt help with that?

7 minutes ago, Pete H said:

What GPU would you suggest? Streaming will probably not be right away, but I'm sure greatful for the info. So the rx580 wouldnt help with that?

Don't get me wrong, you can game and stream on the system you mentioned. However Nvidia cards have a dedicated encoder which is apparently high quality and doesn't tax your system that much. With your setup your CPU will handle the encoding AFAIK, and that's a pretty fast CPU. I don't know how pricing is where you live, but I'd get a 1650 super if you are going for rx480 level performance. As I understand it's a bit faster, has nvenc and is a bit cheaper (where I live at least). 

My System:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Gigabyte RTX 3060TI Gaming OC ProFractal Design Meshify C TG, 2x8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz, MSI B450 Gaming Plus MaxSamsung 850 EVO 512GB, 2TB WD BlueCorsair RM850x, LG 27GL83A-B

3 minutes ago, martward said:

Don't get me wrong, you can game and stream on the system you mentioned. However Nvidia cards have a dedicated encoder which is apparently high quality and doesn't tax your system that much. With your setup your CPU will handle the encoding AFAIK, and that's a pretty fast CPU. I don't know how pricing is where you live, but I'd get a 1650 super if you are going for rx480 level performance. As I understand it's a bit faster, has nvenc and is a bit cheaper (where I live at least). 

I've quickly looked it up. If I get an RX 580 with 8gb is that better than a 1650 with 4gb? 

Sorry if I'm bugging you. I have simply no clue about all these numbers...

26 minutes ago, Pete H said:

I've quickly looked it up. If I get an RX 580 with 8gb is that better than a 1650 with 4gb? 

Sorry if I'm bugging you. I have simply no clue about all these numbers...

You're not bugging, this is what a forum like this is for :).

So in the review I looked up quickly the 1650 super is is a couple of frames faster at 1080p than the 580 on average. More vram is needed when you go to higher resolutions and higher settings and it wouldn't be wise to get a 4gb card if you were planning to use it the next three years since vram usage increases with next generation games. However since you mentioned getting a card now and upgrading later in, what seemed, the not too distant future, 4gb should be fine if you're not at 4k or 1440p high refresh (which these cards don't really do anyway). 

My System:

Spoiler

32 minutes ago, martward said:

You're not bugging, this is what a forum like this is for :).

So in the review I looked up quickly the 1650 super is is a couple of frames faster at 1080p than the 580 on average. More vram is needed when you go to higher resolutions and higher settings and it wouldn't be wise to get a 4gb card if you were planning to use it the next three years since vram usage increases with next generation games. However since you mentioned getting a card now and upgrading later in, what seemed, the not too distant future, 4gb should be fine if you're not at 4k or 1440p high refresh (which these cards don't really do anyway). 

Thanks for the reaearch!

So basically, a 1650 super is better short term, right? I'm just wondering how long it'll take for me to get my hands on a 3070. But I guess it really doesn't matter if i keep the 1650 for a year or the rx 580, right? Except a couple frames more. I guess then I could just whatever's cheapest and then sell it once I'm done with it. 
does that make sense?

1 minute ago, Pete H said:

Thanks for the reaearch!

So basically, a 1650 super is better short term, right? I'm just wondering how long it'll take for me to get my hands on a 3070. But I guess it really doesn't matter if i keep the 1650 for a year or the rx 580, right? Except a couple frames more. I guess then I could just whatever's cheapest and then sell it once I'm done with it. 
does that make sense?

It really doesn't matter that much. In some benchmarks the 1650 super is slightly faster, in others the rx580 is slightly faster. I would just look up one or two reviews of outlets you trust and like to read (for me that's LTT, GamersNexus and Hardware Unboxed / Techspot) and check the review for the 1650 super. The 1650 super should contain the 580 (since 1650 super is newer) so you can get a good indication not only of the comparison but of the performance you can expect from both cards individually. 

I would imagine that the new cards should be better available somewhere in the second half of this year. Maybe the 1650 super might hold more of it's value since it's newer if you plan to sell it again, but that's just a guess.

My System:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, martward said:

It really doesn't matter that much. In some benchmarks the 1650 super is slightly faster, in others the rx580 is slightly faster. I would just look up one or two reviews of outlets you trust and like to read (for me that's LTT, GamersNexus and Hardware Unboxed / Techspot) and check the review for the 1650 super. The 1650 super should contain the 580 (since 1650 super is newer) so you can get a good indication not only of the comparison but of the performance you can expect from both cards individually. 

I would imagine that the new cards should be better available somewhere in the second half of this year. Maybe the 1650 super might hold more of it's value since it's newer if you plan to sell it again, but that's just a guess.

Thank you so much for your help! 
Let's see where I go from here :) 

I'll post an update once I get there

1 hour ago, Pete H said:

OBS supports AMD hardware encoding. I've used it with streaming on a Vega 64 before and it works great. The Nvidia hardware encoding is better though, but AMD isn't far behind.

1 hour ago, Naijin said:

OBS supports AMD hardware encoding. I've used it with streaming on a Vega 64 before and it works great. The Nvidia hardware encoding is better though, but AMD isn't far behind.

I'll probably go for availability in the end... seems my country has run out of many graphics cards

23 minutes ago, Pete H said:

I'll probably go for availability in the end... seems my country has run out of many graphics cards

Availability is bad everywhere. In Belgium, prices of the RTX 3000 series have gone up 100-250 EUR in a week (probably because of the ASUS statement regarding MSRP pricing). A 3070 Gaming X Trio was about 650 EUR last week, now it's 799 EUR. Same with 3060 Ti, last week they were about 500-550 but now they're 600-650.

I ended up ordering a 1660 super for 40$ more, because it was the only one actually available... 

will probably wait to buy a new GPU for a while now anyway because availability and prices are so insane right now

Waiting on the parts now. Latest will be 3 weeks, they said to arrive. Let's hope that holds up. 

Thanks for your help again

On 1/11/2021 at 1:40 AM, Pete H said:

Hi guys and girls!

Build:

My questions:

Thanks for your help!

Peter

Personally I would recommend swapping the M.2 for a ~250gb version and getting a mass storage full SSD or HDD especially if you are planning to do editing projects or renders.  In terms of GPU upgradeability, the GPU is one of the easiest parts to upgrade even in pre-builts.  All you would have to do is unscrew and unplug the current GPU and swap it out for your new one.  But if you can, I would recommend waiting a bit to build because prices of some parts are somewhat high.  

Bobbyct

Main Build: Intel i7 10700k | EVGA Nvidia 3060ti FTW3 | Corsair RGB Vengeance Pro 4x8 @3200Corsair 465x iCUE Smart Case 

3 hours ago, Bobbycat2414 said:

Personally I would recommend swapping the M.2 for a ~250gb version and getting a mass storage full SSD or HDD especially if you are planning to do editing projects or renders.  In terms of GPU upgradeability, the GPU is one of the easiest parts to upgrade even in pre-builts.  All you would have to do is unscrew and unplug the current GPU and swap it out for your new one.  But if you can, I would recommend waiting a bit to build because prices of some parts are somewhat high.  

Now that was sadly just a bit too late :) but i have a fee old SSDs. I'll have to check if they'd work for my system. Otherwise I'll upgrade once I know that it's needed. 
Thanks for thr advice though :)