Firewall Problem

Hi 

I have problem connecting from the internet to my server with windows server 2019 on it 

for testing purposes I have already disabled windows Firewall but it is still unreachable.

I do not have installed any type of antivirus/firewall software, in the past I’ve had Glasswire installed but I have uninstalled it some times ago, so I don’t think it can cause problem.

I have no idea what the problem could be, some advice? 
thank you 

How are you trying to connect to it? What port(s)? What have you done to set up remote access to the server?

It will be your network firewall blocking the communication, not the Windows firewall. 

For what it's worth, I would advise setting up a RRAS VPN and handling authentication through NPAS, both are roles/features for Server 2019.

5 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

How are you trying to connect to it? What port(s)? What have you done to set up remote access to the server?

It will be your network firewall blocking the communication, not the Windows firewall. 

I’m using VNC port, I have set up VNC server as I did on other computer in my network and in which I have no accessibility problem over the internet too, no I have already forwarded port 5900 on my router, I know it is working because I have tested the same port on another pc and worked great.

ps: obviously I know that the same port do not work with more than one pc but I have tested other similar ports too.

11 minutes ago, Hanscento said:

I’m using VNC port, I have set up VNC server as I did on other computer in my network and in which I have no accessibility problem over the internet too, no I have already forwarded port 5900 on my router, I know it is working because I have tested the same port on another pc and worked great.

ps: obviously I know that the same port do not work with more than one pc but I have tested other similar ports too.

If the config is working on other PCs, the only thing I would suggest is allowing the port you're using on the firewall as well as forwarding it to your server and test again. 

You can use something like WireShark on the server to see if it's receiving the traffic. If it is and it's not responding, there's an issue somewhere with the VNC server configuration somewhere. 

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

If the config is working on other PCs, the only thing I would suggest is allowing the port you're using on the firewall as well as forwarding it to your server and test again. 

You can use something like WireShark on the server to see if it's receiving the traffic. If it is and it's not responding, there's an issue somewhere with the VNC server configuration somewhere. 

I have already tried also with another application (minecraft server port 25565) and still after forwarding the port and disabled windows firewall it was not working.

I’ll try WireShark

1 minute ago, Hanscento said:

I have already tried also with another application (minecraft server port 25565) and still after forwarding the port and disabled windows firewall it was not working.

I’ll try WireShark

Sounds like an issue with the forwarding to me. 

I'd try accessing those ports from within the network on another PC to confirm you can reach them locally. If you can, it's not the server but the network firewall having an issue.

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Sounds like an issue with the forwarding to me. 

I'd try accessing those ports from within the network on another PC to confirm you can reach them locally. If you can, it's not the server but the network firewall having an issue.

Yes I can.

the strange thing is that if I use the same config and forward the port to another server it works fine, I can’t understand why.

1 minute ago, Hanscento said:

Yes I can.

the strange thing is that if I use the same config and forward the port to another server it works fine, I can’t understand why.

Without knowing your entire network layout and local IPs, it's hard to offer any specific help there. 

It's not the server then, it's something to do with the network or the forwarding rules you have set up.

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

Without knowing your entire network layout and local IPs, it's hard to offer any specific help there. 

It's not the server then, it's something to do with the network or the forwarding rules you have set up.

I can tell you something about my network if you need

i have a FritzBox 7430 as Router 

server ip config 

ip 192.168.178.131

subnet 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.167.178.1

the router is set to forward ports 5900 and 25565 to the server ip 

With all my other devices that need port forwarding that simple step have always worked well.

4 minutes ago, Hanscento said:

I can tell you something about my network if you need

i have a FritzBox 7430 as Router 

server ip config 

ip 192.168.178.131

subnet 255.255.255.0

gateway 192.167.178.1

the router is set to forward ports 5900 and 25565 to the server ip 

With all my other devices that need port forwarding that simple step have always worked well.

Are those IPs correct? If so, they're in different subnets which would explain the problem. I'd move the server to the same subnet as the gateway/router.

EDIT: Actually, I assume it's a typo, 192.167.x.x isn't a private IP. If they are correct, the gateway address needs to be changed to the correct one.

Are those IPs correct? If so, they're in different subnets which would explain the problem. 

I’m sorry I have written 167 instead of 168😅😅 

however no, they are on the same subnet

sorry again

Just now, Hanscento said:

I’m sorry I have written 167 instead of 168😅😅 

however no, they are on the same subnet

sorry again

Hmm, next thing I'd try is moving the server to the IP of one of the other computers you know works (obviously removing that IP from the computer while testing) and trying again. Possible that there's an IP conflict somewhere. 

Hmm, next thing I'd try is moving the server to the IP of one of the other computers you know works (obviously removing that IP from the computer while testing) and trying again. Possible that there's an IP conflict somewhere. 

Ok i’ll try an let you know

25 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I have tried with another ip, but the situation is the same

I have tried to ping from another pc the ip of the server but the request time out 

I don’t know if it can be helpful

3 minutes ago, Hanscento said:

I have tried with another ip, but the situation is the same

I have tried to ping from another pc the ip of the server but the request time out 

I don’t know if it can be helpful

Is that still with firewall disabled? If so, ICMP traffic should go through. You said you've confirmed you can get to the ports over the local network, how did you test that? I'd expect it to fail if ICMP is failing.

Definitely sounds like a network issue. Possibly physically connect the server to the router directly using a different cable, bypassing any switches or similar that it currently uses. 

Is that still with firewall disabled? If so, ICMP traffic should go through. 

Definitely sounds like a network issue. Possibly physically connect the server to the router directly using a different cable, bypassing any switches or similar that it currently uses. 

Yeah the firewall is still disable, i try to connect directly and update you

7 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Is that still with firewall disabled? If so, ICMP traffic should go through. You said you've confirmed you can get to the ports over the local network, how did you test that? I'd expect it to fail if ICMP is failing.

Even with the server plugged into the router I can’t access it using VNC or port 25565, but now I can ping it with another pc 

yes I can access it using internal ip and port via VNC

2 minutes ago, Hanscento said:

Even with the server plugged into the router I can’t access it using VNC or port 25565, but now I can ping it with another pc 

Seeing as you can now ping it, I'd put it back to its original IP and start the port forwarding from scratch and try again. 

It sounds like you know how to set the port forwarding up as you've had it working on other devices. Nothing about Server 2019 is special that would cause it to block things with the firewall disabled. Can't really offer any more help other than it being a network issue somewhere if it still fails.

4 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Seeing as you can now ping it, I'd put it back to its original IP and start the port forwarding from scratch and try again. 

It sounds like you know how to set the port forwarding up as you've had it working on other devices. Nothing about Server 2019 is special that would cause it to block things with the firewall disabled. Can't really offer any more help other than it being a network issue somewhere if it still fails.

Now I receive an error while trying to port forward from original ip 

it is not specific the error is:” error code 1, reload the page or contact assistance”.

at this point I think I’m gonna reinstall windows server as it is a fresh install and retry, maybe is windows that have problems

Just now, Hanscento said:

Now I receive an error while trying to port forward from original ip 

it is not specific the error is:” error code 1, reload the page or contact assistance”.

at this point I think I’m gonna reinstall windows server as it is a fresh install and retry, maybe is windows that have problems

You've said you can get to the ports on it locally on the network though, so I doubt WIndows is the issue. No harm in trying though if it's a fresh install anyway

You've said you can get to the ports on it locally on the network though, so I doubt WIndows is the issue. No harm in trying though if it's a fresh install anyway

Thank for your help and your time 

have a great day 

bye