Advice on what base Operating Systems to get for multi-platform deployment

amsga
Go to solution Solved by brob,

Hypervisors manage virtual machines. They host virtual machines that run o/s. A type 1 hypervisor runs on the raw hardware allocating and managing resources for the virtual machines being hosted. A type 2 hypervisor runs in a host o/s and manages virtual machines.

One possible scenario is that the machine boots a hypervisor which then runs a VM that boots Ubuntu to run the vision module and another VM that boots windows 10.

Hi All,

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong section or even the wrong forum to ask this.

I was wondering if there a guide or something for choosing Operating Systems for multi-platform deployment or is it a case where it is based on experience.

I have this workstation which was initially spec to run a Computer Vision module for research purposes.

I took the requirements from the engineers working on that project so I know they needed something like Ubuntu.

Now I have management asking me to also use the same machine for Windows based application.

So initially I was thinking of getting a Windows 10 Pro OS for the system and maybe run Ubuntu as a Virtual Machine on it.

But now I wonder if that will hinder the performance for the Computer Vision module.

I have heard of things like Docker and Kubernetes but I am not sure how it ties in with this or how it is suppose to work.

So I would like to seek your advice if there are better ways of doing this?

You might consider a type 1 hypervisor like vmware vsphere.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

23 hours ago, brob said:

You might consider a type 1 hypervisor like vmware vsphere.

Never tried hypervisors before.

Is it something like another kind of OS?

Hypervisors manage virtual machines. They host virtual machines that run o/s. A type 1 hypervisor runs on the raw hardware allocating and managing resources for the virtual machines being hosted. A type 2 hypervisor runs in a host o/s and manages virtual machines.

One possible scenario is that the machine boots a hypervisor which then runs a VM that boots Ubuntu to run the vision module and another VM that boots windows 10.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.