Need help with an SSD.

KB1118

I recently bought a Galax Gamer SSD (120GB) from Amazon. I popped it in my desktop and proceeded to boot into the Windows Setup via a USB drive. Half way through, the USB drive decided to fail on me. The windows Setup screen was stuck at 63% for over 3 hours. I clicked the red 'x' icon so I could get out of it and try installing windows through a different drive. Once I got into the setup screen to choose the disk to install, it shows 'Windows Can't be installed on this drive' and has 0.0MB storage. I even tried cleaning and reformatting through diskpart and a variety of other softwares on Windows, but everything gets me back to this. I would have asked for a replacement from Amazon, but this is already my 2nd drive that I've had a problem with and the return window is closed. Is there any way I can make it work again?

15 minutes ago, KB1118 said:

I recently bought a Galax Gamer SSD (120GB) from Amazon. I popped it in my desktop and proceeded to boot into the Windows Setup via a USB drive. Half way through, the USB drive decided to fail on me. The windows Setup screen was stuck at 63% for over 3 hours. I clicked the red 'x' icon so I could get out of it and try installing windows through a different drive. Once I got into the setup screen to choose the disk to install, it shows 'Windows Can't be installed on this drive' and has 0.0MB storage. I even tried cleaning and reformatting through diskpart and a variety of other softwares on Windows, but everything gets me back to this. I would have asked for a replacement from Amazon, but this is already my 2nd drive that I've had a problem with and the return window is closed. Is there any way I can make it work again?

Don't reformat it after a clean command. Just clean it (the quick way, never slow on SSD!), and then try installing windows. Let Windows create the partitions and handle formatting.

On 1/8/2021 at 3:12 PM, TehDwonz said:

Don't reformat it after a clean command. Just clean it (the quick way, never slow on SSD!), and then try installing windows. Let Windows create the partitions and handle formatting.

I tried it out. Didn't work. It keeps giving me some weird error codes. I popped back in my old hard drive to see if Windows would read it. It kept showing up as 'RAW'. I scanned it using multiple softwares and all of them are showing that the entire SSD is full of bad sectors. CrystalDiskInfo won't even detect the SSD. How is this possible? I just bought it. Is it because the Windows installation messed it up? Is there any way I can fix this?

On 1/8/2021 at 1:25 AM, KB1118 said:

I would have asked for a replacement from Amazon, but this is already my 2nd drive that I've had a problem with and the return window is closed. Is there any way I can make it work again?

It should not matter if this is the second drive, if it is defective and brand new, then you should be able to send it back for a replacement or refund. I would let them know that this current one is also defective and demand a replacement.

OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VI Hero, CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, Heat Sink: AMD Wraith Prism RGB, Video Card: FTW GeForce RTX 3080, Memory: 4 x G. Skill Trident Z RGB Royal 8GB (total 32GB), Power Supply: Thermaltake Tough Power Grand RGB750W, MonitorAOC Q32G1WG4, HD: 2 x Samsung EVO 850 and 4 x Seagate 2TB ST2000DL 003-9VT166 SATA HD, Keyboard: G. Skill RipJaws KM780R RGB Mechanical Keyboard, Mouse: Logitech G903 Wireless, Network Adaptor: D-Link DWA-192 AC1900 Wi-Fi USB 3.0

My problem is that the drive only has a 10 day return option. If I open 'Your Orders' on Amazon it shows me that I can't return the SSD since 'its return window is closed'. What can I do in this situation?