How to have OpenVPN start and connect automatically on Windows start up

Scruffy90

How can I have the OpenVPN client or connect start and connect to my VPN server automatically whenever I start Windows?

I have my laptop and desktop pointing to my NAS as the main home folder files and whenever I leave the house with the laptop, I would like to be able to continue connecting to my NAS (was a suggestion from someone here to keep all of my files uniform between machines and it's been working great)

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Just open task manager and then click on startup them choose the apps which you want on startup.

well if you have the latest version of openvpn you should reinstall it and in advanced options install also the openvpn service
after that just place your config in the folder auto config and go to windows services and set it to automatic and you're done

On 1/8/2021 at 7:28 AM, _crazy_crazy_ said:

well if you have the latest version of openvpn you should reinstall it and in advanced options install also the openvpn service
after that just place your config in the folder auto config and go to windows services and set it to automatic and you're done

I'll give this a shot! I'll let you know if it works

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

On 1/8/2021 at 7:28 AM, _crazy_crazy_ said:

So I did your suggestion and OpenVPN starts with Windows now. However, I cannot get it to log into my VPN automatically despite the ovpn file being in the auto-config folder. 

20 hours ago, _crazy_crazy_ said:

sry for the late reply do you gave to login or something like that ?

Yeah. So my configuration requires a login. I created the login file, call it from the config file (both are in the config folder), but regardless it throws that error. The only thing I could think of is that i'm inserting the credentials incorrectly within the config file.