Plugging M2 NVME disk to mobo makes it not POST (DRAM led on)

sborkows

1. Setup specification:

- mobo: Gigabyte AORUS Z390 Pro WIFI (rev1.0)

- BIOS: ver F12j, default settings

- CPU: Intel Core i7-9700k (not yet OCed)

- RAM: HyperX Predator DDR4 3333MHz 2x8GB (HX433C16PB3K2/16)

- M2 disk: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB (ASX8200PNP-1TT-C) (SSD PCIe NVMe)

- additional SSD SATA disk: Intel SSD 535 Series (240GB)

- GPU: at this moment GTX970 (I'm still waiting for my RTX3070... )

- PSU: Be Quiet Straight Power 11 750W

2. Problem:

Hi all,

After plugging everything in to PSU (ATX, P8, SATA, PCIe 2x6pin) without case for testing purposes (on a mobo box), BIOS could not boot.

DRAM debug led was on for about 2 minutes and then, reboot occurs and so on in a loop.

After several reboots I could access BIOS, there were no odd things with configuration or stats. When I loaded default configuration and restarted, reboot loop with DRAM led on happened again.

I tried also clear CMOS and this did not help.

However, after removing M2 disk from M2A slot (only SATA SSD remained plugged), BIOS booted well and I could access all BIOS configuration.

I can now install OS, but this SSD has only 240GB and I wanted M2 disk to contain OS and most frequent used programs and games.

Any ideas what can I do now?

3. Additional info:

During personal troubleshoot process, I have updated BIOS from version F11 to F12j.

I also checked another slot (M2M), but without success.

I was using M2 radiator from mobo.

In both slots disk was inserted properly and mounted with screw (then radiator put on top of it and also mounted with screw).

Regarding RAM, BIOS set it to 2400MHz by default.

I have checked 4 times all power plugs if they are loose or not plugged properly.

I have also checked both RAM sticks, they are plugged properly, plug is not damaged

4. Attachments:

I attached photo of m2 nvme disk, how I was mounting it in M2A slot (before mounting with screw and radiator) and DRAM led after powering mobo on.

adata_disk.jpg

m2a.jpg

dram_led.jpg

1 hour ago, ragnarok0273 said:

See if it works in the M2B slot.

This mobo does not contain such slot. There are only M2A and M2M slots available (I checked both of them).

1 minute ago, sborkows said:

This mobo does not contain such slot. There are only M2A and M2M slots available (I checked both of them).

The motherboard manual mentioned a B slot -  I meant put it in your other M.2 slot.

elephants

1 hour ago, ragnarok0273 said:

The motherboard manual mentioned a B slot -  I meant put it in your other M.2 slot.

https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_z390-aorus-pro_wifi_1001_190708_e.pdf 

There are 2 M.2 slots on this mobo: M2A and M2M

I performed first attempts on M2A and then also tried with M2M. It did not help.

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

It could be a bad SSD - can you test it in another system?

Unfortunately, at this moment I can't. My older mobo does not contain any M.2 slots.

I also forgot to mention a fact, that this SSD is present on the list of supported M.2 SSD for this mobo.

• 1 month later...

Hi! Sorry for the refloat.

I have the same mobo and the same problem with an Adata M2 NVME disk. Have you been able to find a solution?

• 1 month later...

I tried the same XPG sx8200 nvme m.2 and experienced the same issues with the z390 pro wifi motherboard.   It's the m.2 card.  Just get a different brand.  Others have reported the same issue using the sx8200 XPG.  It is just not compatible with the z390.