Starting Point PC

BolomanG

So, I am creating a pc that is for a lightish workload and some low graphic gaming, and decided that I would use the PC Partpicker website.

Here is the build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/77b3W3

Is this a good start? And what problems might I be running into?

Running an Athlon with an X470 is a bit overkill (since that motherboard costs 100$).

I only changed the CPU, the RAM for a faster one (Your iGPU will benefit from that) and changed the SSD for one thats double the size but the same prize and still NVMe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And if you want to spend a little bit more this one (I only upgraded the CPU to a 3200G which has 4 cores 4 threads and Vega 8 graphics instead of 2cores 4 threads and Vega3 graphics and changed the SSD for a 250GB one)

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.4GHz 1.2v / GPU: MSI Radeon RX 5700 Mech OC GP (5700XT Bios) @ 2GHz / MB: Asus ROG Strix B450-F / RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 / CASE: MSI MAG Vampiric 010X

16 minutes ago, BolomanG said:

So, I am creating a pc that is for a lightish workload and some low graphic gaming, and decided that I would use the PC Partpicker website.

Here is the build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/77b3W3

Is this a good start? And what problems might I be running into?

Looks like a decent low budget build. Just keep in mind that the iGPU on the Athlon is very low-tier and will be suitable only for very basic gaming.

1 minute ago, LordWk said:

Running an Athlon with an X470 is a bit overkill (since that motherboard costs 100$).

I only changed the CPU, the RAM for a faster one (Your iGPU will benefit from that) and changed the SSD for one thats double the size but the same prize and still NVMe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And if you want to spend a little bit more this one (I only upgraded the CPU to a 3200G which has 4 cores 4 threads and Vega 8 graphics instead of 2cores 4 threads and Vega3 graphics)

That Ryzen 3 will be a huge improvement over the Athlon 200GE for sure. Good pick.

33 minutes ago, LordWk said:

And if you want to spend a little bit more this one (I only upgraded the CPU to a 3200G which has 4 cores 4 threads and Vega 8 graphics instead of 2cores 4 threads and Vega3 graphics and changed the SSD for a 250GB one)

Thank you for your input. I have been going back and forth on price, compatability, and mostly the motherboard. This was my first time looking at pc Partpicker and I was feeling a bit overwhelmed. This been super helpful in more fine tuned choices. Most responses I've had are just 'why build this' or giving a huge jump in price that I'm not wanting to do. I truly appreciate this feedback.

6 minutes ago, BolomanG said:

Thank you for your input. I have been going back and forth on price, compatability, and mostly the motherboard. This was my first time looking at pc Partpicker and I was feeling a bit overwhelmed. This been super helpful in more fine tuned choices. Most responses I've had are just 'why build this' or giving a huge jump in price that I'm not wanting to do. I truly appreciate this feedback.

If you didnt use PCPartPicker before. On the top right corner there is a button to choose the country you live in. So the parts you pick will be from websites available on your country. I did it on the US Market because you had that one on your PCPartPicker.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.4GHz 1.2v / GPU: MSI Radeon RX 5700 Mech OC GP (5700XT Bios) @ 2GHz / MB: Asus ROG Strix B450-F / RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 / CASE: MSI MAG Vampiric 010X

An X470 with Athlon is overkill. Save the money and go for a 3200G or 3400G

2 hours ago, LordWk said:

PLEASE DO NOT PAY $200 FOR THAT CPU. At max pay $120. That CPU should usually be around $80 but with prices inflated and stock limited, everything has gone up.

If you can, I would highly recommend waiting until the new year to build. If you can wait for prices to go down, go for something like this. It is just the CPU which you should wait for. It is out of stock at $99 rn but hopefully not for too much longer.