Diagnosing random crashes (VRAM?)

keltys

Hey all, 

I just started having random crashes the other day. They have happened while playing Cyberpunk, Battlefront 2, using Chrome, and while I wasn't even using the computer. 

They have nothing to do with temps (they occurred twice at idle speeds, and my temps never spiked), and occur completely randomly with no relation to any specific action or length of use. 

The crashes turn both my monitors to a mostly solid color (with a slight gradient). All but once this color was a blue matching my screen saver, once it was a different color, matching a loading screen in a game I was playing. It seems as if the crash screens are directly related to the graphics displayed at time of crash. The only other clue I have is that I feel like my GPU coil whine has come back. I don't recall hearing much of any for a long time, but I can definitely hear it while gaming now.   

I've checked event viewer, and the only error that shows up is the improper shutdown when I eventually power the computer off and reset. 

Things I've tried:

- Updated all drivers

- Cleaned dust from the pc

- Triple checked my temps and cooling

- Downloaded a few 3rd party crash diagnostic apps

- Underclocked the GPU by 10%. 

None of this has worked. I know some potential next steps (clean driver install, swapping parts, etc), but it sounds pretty open and shut to me as failing VRAM. I was planning on upgrading to a 3080ti when they are launched and easily acquired in late Q1 or early Q2, but I'm thinking Im going to have to start getting in line for a 3080 at this rate.  

Specs:

PSU: Corsair RM 850x

GPU: 1080 ti - custom loop cooled

MB: Asus z370-f

CPU: i5 8600k

Ram: Gskill trident 3200 (16gb)

The ram and PSU are basically brand new and under warrenty. The oldest parts are the CPU and MB. I am running a slight overclock on the CPU, but it has been stable for over 6 months at current settings. 

Try your integrated graphics just to make extra sure it's your graphics card VRAM going bad.

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain

Changed any bios settings lately? 

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

1 hour ago, LloydLynx said:

Try your integrated graphics just to make extra sure it's your graphics card VRAM going bad.

Yeah, I've been running off my integrated graphics all day and no crashes. Safe to say its isolated to the GPU. 

50 minutes ago, lotus10101 said:

Changed any bios settings lately? 

Nope! Last time I was in BIOS was during overclocking about 8 months back.