Setting XMP then modifying those timings, okay?

Total ram overclocking noob here. Was curious if it's okay to set the XMP profile on my ram, then just tighten the timings from there? I ask this, because it seems to be working well for me, whereas, manually setting all the timings is not. It's strange.

What I have basically done is set the XMP profile (2x16GB Corsair LPX 3600 C18) which sets things at 18-22-22-42-64. I then adjusted those timings the XMP profile set to 16-17-17-36-56 with a voltage of 1.4. Everything is testing stable in OCCT and TM5. 

Is this legit or no?

2 minutes ago, CheerioLad said:

Total ram overclocking noob here. Was curious if it's okay to set the XMP profile on my ram, then just tighten the timings from there? I ask this, because it seems to be working well for me, whereas, manually setting all the timings is not. It's strange.

What I have basically done is set the XMP profile (2x16GB Corsair LPX 3600 C18) which sets things at 18-22-22-42-64. I then adjusted those timings the XMP profile set to 16-17-17-36-56 with a voltage of 1.4. Everything is testing stable in OCCT and TM5. 

Is this legit or no?

Sounds good. Can try to see if they will run a straight 16-16-16 with a little more voltage. If it seems unstable, can try and loosen the Trc and Trfc a little bit and run a command rate of 2T instead of 1T.