m.2 not working

Joey96

Hey guys! Hope someone can help me somehow! I've tried google and so forth, nothing really working...

I've just bought new stuff for pc upgrade.

The old m.2 ssd i used as a game storage drive wont load into my new motherboard. 

It shows up in device manager, and bios. When doing the disk management thing, it either says "A device which does not exist was specified" or "Cannot initialize disk write protected".

When the "A device which does not exist was specified" pops up, the disk is afterwards not visible in disk management and device manager. Is there a way to fix this? I read maybe i should reformat it, however I dont seem to be able to find a way to reformat it without having initialized it... I hope someone can help. I even tried to reseat the drive but it still doesnt work.....

Sometimes the disk shows up in BIOS other times it doesnt, what can be the problem?

CPU: Ryzen 5800x

Motherboard: Asus Strix B550 Gaming F

SSD M.2: Corsair force mp600

PSU: Corsair RM750X

It was working perfectly fine before I switched it over to my new motherboard, and since it can detect it i dont think there is any issues with the board or harddisk?

Edited by Joey96

2 minutes ago, RTX 3090 said:

Please can you post system specs. This would help us find any issues

Yeah sorry i realized, so i just edited it

Try reseating it (the m.2 drive), and then see if it works. If not, you can reformat it without windows by creating a USB disk with acronis True image 2020 .iso on it, and formatting it using that utility

Please tag me @RTX 3090 so I can see your reply

4 minutes ago, RTX 3090 said:

Try reseating it (the m.2 drive), and then see if it works. If not, you can reformat it without windows by creating a USB disk with acronis True image 2020 .iso on it, and formatting it using that utility

Ahh okay, ill try that. However, right now windows is running off my other m.2 ssd which is working fine. I just tried to reseat it and it didnt work. So ill just try to load true image 2020 on it through bios? just like i installed windows from clean right?

There is a PCIe resource share issue I have heard about.

Check the MB manual to see what PCIe rails are sharing resources.

e.g

On some MB's if you plug in a device in a certain PCIe slot, you cannot use one of the other SATA/PCIe ports/slots.

If you're getting a write protection error and you don't care about the information on the drive, i might also try to see where you get in diskpart and try to clean the disk.

Run cmd as an admin and type diskpart. Once diskpart starts up type list disk. it should list any physical drives connected to your computer. Type select disk X where X is the number assigned to the problem drive (assuming it showed up in the list). Once the correct disk is selected, type clean. That wipes any info off the disk, removes any previous formatting and you should be able to format it from there.

Edited by Flannelist
clarifying information

Go on to a working windows install and download an .iso file of Acronis true image. It must e an .iso, not .exe. Then use rufus to create a bootable USB with it. Then boot from the USB and load the utility. From their you will have many options, so if you want to format the disk there should be an option

There is a free trial of it, it will ask you to pay after 30 days, but you will probably need it only this one time anyways

Please tag me @RTX 3090 so I can see your reply

8 minutes ago, Flannelist said:

if you don't care about the information on the drive, i might also try to see where you get in diskpart and try to clean the disk.

Run cmd as an admin and type diskpart. Once diskpart starts up type list disk. it should list any physical drives connected to your computer. Type select disk X where X is the number assigned to the problem drive (assuming it showed up in the list). Once the correct disk is selected, type clean. That wipes any info off the disk, and takes it back to unitialized status and you should be able to format it from there.

It shows in diskpart and i tried to clean it which worked. I then tried to create a partition in diskmanagement but that failed and then the drive was gone again. I rebooted and the drive is again visible in the diskpart. I now tried to create a partition from disklist, however again i get the error "A device which does not exist was specified. I even tried to type "list disk" again and it still shows, so it doesnt really make any sense to me

19 minutes ago, Joey96 said:

It shows in diskpart and i tried to clean it which worked. I then tried to create a partition in diskmanagement but that failed and then the drive was gone again. I rebooted and the drive is again visible in the diskpart. I now tried to create a partition from disklist, however again i get the error "A device which does not exist was specified. I even tried to type "list disk" again and it still shows, so it doesnt really make any sense to me

Hmmmm. I'm not sure if cleaning the disk removes write protection. If that's what the underlying issue is.... Try diskpart again only instead of clean, see if you can do "attributes disk clear readonly" on the selected disk.

7 minutes ago, Flannelist said:

Hmmmm. I'm not sure if cleaning the disk removes write protection. If that's what the underlying issue is.... Try diskpart again only instead of clean, see if you can do "attributes disk clear readonly" on the selected disk.

Tried that also, it didnt work :/

1 hour ago, RTX 3090 said:

Go on to a working windows install and download an .iso file of Acronis true image. It must e an .iso, not .exe. Then use rufus to create a bootable USB with it. Then boot from the USB and load the utility. From their you will have many options, so if you want to format the disk there should be an option

There is a free trial of it here, it will ask you to pay after 30 days, but you will probably need it only this one time anyways

Yeah doesnt seem to be working, the cleansing tool says that part X was not able to be read blablabla etc

I tried to switch m.2 slots with the working one to isolate the problem. The slot works fine and seems to be the SSD itself that is a problem. I even tried to put back the old system and load it, the same problem occurred. 

so either it has some kind of lock or it’s busted.

Sometimes the pc detects it and other times it doesn’t. When it detects it and I try to initialise it, it says a device which was chosen does not exist. I tried reformatting through Acronis and didn’t work either. So yeah I think I have to contact the store I bought it from ... :(