Motherboard Post Code Troubleshooting

Go to solution Solved by Proton_density,

Turns out I didn't download the Gigabyte drivers just the GForce ones for future reference!

Hi all,

I have just installed a new ROG 3090 into my rig. Everything was working fine before and so far seems to be ok now other than my post code. I'm now getting a  4 beeps post code and a light display (CPU, DRAM then VGA) on my aorus z270x gaming k5 rev 2.

I've looked up the beeping code so It seems it's a internal clock issue or the ram? Which I've read had to do with the CMOS battery.I have now replaced that battery and reseated my RAM and GPU.

This is now all (though was previously running on a 750w) running on a 1000w Seasonic Prime.

Any thoughts or things I can trouble shoot?

Thanks!

What's your power supply situation? An underpowered PSU for the components may not just simply trip the overcurrent protection, especially if it's right on the edge of what the PSU can handle. When a computer starts up it sends a spike of voltage to all of the components, which also draw heavy amperage to get started, which is why you may notice the lights dimm momentarily in your house when you start up a beastly rig. If your PSU isn't able to send enough volts and amps down to every component now that the 3090 is in the mix, you may notice strange errors that don't seem to be related to any changes you've made. There may just not be enough power going to the mobo for your RAM to function properly after your CPU and GPU hog it all. 
If your PSU is multi-rail, you could try reconfiguring which cables your GPU and Mobo + CPU supplementary power are plugged into. If you have an AIO or liquid cooling setup, switch back to the box cooler, and unplug any other unnecessary components like spinning rust and other add-in cards. Undervolting and underclocking your CPU & RAM may help alleviate some of the stress on your PSU. If any of that makes a difference, it is a pretty clear-cut indication that your system needs more juice. 

14 minutes ago, thermalgoop said:

What's your power supply situation? An underpowered PSU for the components may not just simply trip the overcurrent protection, especially if it's right on the edge of what the PSU can handle. When a computer starts up it sends a spike of voltage to all of the components, which also draw heavy amperage to get started, which is why you may notice the lights dimm momentarily in your house when you start up a beastly rig. If your PSU isn't able to send enough volts and amps down to every component now that the 3090 is in the mix, you may notice strange errors that don't seem to be related to any changes you've made. There may just not be enough power going to the mobo for your RAM to function properly after your CPU and GPU hog it all. 
If your PSU is multi-rail, you could try reconfiguring which cables your GPU and Mobo + CPU supplementary power are plugged into. If you have an AIO or liquid cooling setup, switch back to the box cooler, and unplug any other unnecessary components like spinning rust and other add-in cards. Undervolting and underclocking your CPU & RAM may help alleviate some of the stress on your PSU. If any of that makes a difference, it is a pretty clear-cut indication that your system needs more juice. 

So actually I am redlining with a 750watt. depending on what forum I was on some people were saying it was ok so I figured I'd give it a try.
I did try to swap out which 8 pins were connected and now the card is blinking red so I take it I made it worse, I may just go to the previous config.
Would there be any reason not to run like this till my new 1000w PSU gets in in a few days?

Thanks!

A 750w PSU is definitely the culprit. 3090s draw unprecedented amounts of power for a desktop/consumer card. 
You probably had it hooked up best the first time, with the CPU/Mobo and GPU on separate rails.
It should be fine, in theory. A decent PSU should trip itself when dangerously overloaded before blowing up or damaging other components. It may be advisable to lower the power target on your 3090 in something like MSI Afterburner for the time being, just so you don't run into PSU-related instability while using your computer. 

On 12/20/2020 at 12:51 PM, thermalgoop said:

A 750w PSU is definitely the culprit. 3090s draw unprecedented amounts of power for a desktop/consumer card. 
You probably had it hooked up best the first time, with the CPU/Mobo and GPU on separate rails.
It should be fine, in theory. A decent PSU should trip itself when dangerously overloaded before blowing up or damaging other components. It may be advisable to lower the power target on your 3090 in something like MSI Afterburner for the time being, just so you don't run into PSU-related instability while using your computer. 

Sounds good! I'll. Update the thread once the psu comes in and let y'all know!

Thanks!!

Happy holidays.

On 12/20/2020 at 12:51 PM, thermalgoop said:

So New PSU is in - a 1000w Seasonic Prime. System should be getting more than enough power... but I'm still getting the 4 beeps. There's also a a few lights that glow breifly when I post "CPU, DRAM & VGA" in that order. As you've said 4 beeps could mean memory or clock error. So I've tried reseating all of my GPU, Bios battery (with + side towards me) and ram. Still getting the code/beeps.

Any other thoughts? Brand new card, do I need to reset the CMOS ... I have no clue what that is but some threads that is recommended.

Thanks

That was 3 and 1 beeps. At least so it sounds.

3 short

Base 64K memory failure A memory failure has occurred in the first 64K of RAM. 

1 short

DRAM refresh failure The programmable interrupt timer or programmable interrupt controller has probably failed

Just in case it's 4 beeps.

4 short

System timer failure The system clock/timer IC has failed or there is a memory error in the first bank of memory

Yes, clear cmos. The manual will show you how. 

Then take all the memory out and try one stick in the first slot A1. Then see if it posts up. If not, shut it down and try the other stick.

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

That was 3 and 1 beeps. At least so it sounds.

3 short

Base 64K memory failure A memory failure has occurred in the first 64K of RAM. 

1 short

DRAM refresh failure The programmable interrupt timer or programmable interrupt controller has probably failed

Just in case it's 4 beeps.

4 short

System timer failure The system clock/timer IC has failed or there is a memory error in the first bank of memory

Yes, clear cmos. The manual will show you how. 

Then take all the memory out and try one stick in the first slot A1. Then see if it posts up. If not, shut it down and try the other stick.

CMOS cleared (confirmed through BIOS, defaults restored).

Each of the modules inserted into DDR4_1 individually. Each had the same code and they all posted.

Any next steps?

So just an update.
I have been reading that maybe it's the bios that needs updating there are new VGA divers in 2020 would that do anything?

For anyone jumping in the TLDR is that I have a new graphics card (3090) that I swaped in for my 1080 on my 750psu/7700k/z270x aorus. Once swapped this issue started, and we figured it may be the PSU. But now with a psu (1000W) swap and with a clear cmoa no change. I have also tested each memory stick for a post and they all work. My BIOS battery is brand new and I have reseated my 3090 a few times to make sure that's not the issue either.

Thanks!!

• 9 months later...

Turns out I didn't download the Gigabyte drivers just the GForce ones for future reference!