DaVinci Resolve performance issues

Energycore

Hey y'all

So friend of mine has been trying to edit video using DaVinci Resolve, but his performance has been quite lackluster. Here are his specs

CPU: Ryzen 2700X

RAM: 48GB DDR4 @2133MHz (I'll be enabling XMP etc for him tomorrow)

Storage: 2x Crucial P1

GPU: RX 570

Apparently, there's no problem using the software in general, but when he tries to apply a Magic Mask the preview fps tanks down to like 3, even at 720p.

He already tried pre-rendering the magic mask effect before previewing it. Did not help.

I don't have a screenshot but he claims that CPU and GPU usage during preview are very low (5% ish), so I'm thinking there might be a software issue.

Any ideas as to why performance is this bad would be much appreciated!

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

AFAIK magic mask is only in the version 17 beta, it’s not a stable release. It’s also working from the neural engine so performance is going to be clunky. 

Only thing you can do is make sure their GPU acceleration is set up properly. Otherwise I’d just wait until 17 officially releases and go from there.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

6 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

AFAIK magic mask is only in the version 17 beta, it’s not a stable release. It’s also working from the neural engine so performance is going to be clunky. 

Only thing you can do is make sure their GPU acceleration is set up properly. Otherwise I’d just wait until 17 officially releases and go from there.

Thanks! We spent some 8 hours today and managed to make the performance better with some optimization, but like you said Magic Mask was still really hard to run.

In the end we settled with "use the pre-rendered cached timeline to preview the effects, it's going to be tedious and time consuming but it'll work. Otherwise try not to use it and instead use more traditional, but worse looking masking effects".

If you know by chance whether Adobe Premiere has this kind of machine learning masking algorithm, I'd love to know and I'll tell him to use that for that step.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

4 hours ago, Energycore said:

Thanks! We spent some 8 hours today and managed to make the performance better with some optimization, but like you said Magic Mask was still really hard to run.

In the end we settled with "use the pre-rendered cached timeline to preview the effects, it's going to be tedious and time consuming but it'll work. Otherwise try not to use it and instead use more traditional, but worse looking masking effects".

If you know by chance whether Adobe Premiere has this kind of machine learning masking algorithm, I'd love to know and I'll tell him to use that for that step.

Not in Premiere, but in After Effects there’s the rotoscope brush (2) which achieves the same ends... mostly. It’s still slow though. :(

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20