PC Switched off mid game and wont turn on

~Vengeance

Just a pre note, I apologize if the is already a similar topic but I am working off my phone and I can't seem to find one with my exact problem.

So I was playing Star Citizen in 5760x1080 with nvidia surround and as soon as I jumped in my ship my computer froze for a few seconds and then turned off. No BSOD, just off. When I press the power button it lights up for a fraction of a second at first and then nothing. Repeated trials yield no response at all until I disconnect and reconnect power. I thought it might be a PSU problem however the two lights on each of my GTX 680's are still on as well as the ethernet port light. Because of this I'm thinking it may be the CPU or maybe the memory. Does anyone have any idea what it might be?

My specs are as follows:

Asrock Extreme4 motherboard (Intel 2011 socket)

Intel 3820 CPU (with a H100)

16 GB G.Skill 1600mHz RAM

Dual Asus DCUII GTX 680's running in SLI

3 Corsair Force 3 SSD's and a WD RE HDD

An NZXT Hue with an additional 4 meters of LED strips

And lastly, an Antec HCG-900 900W power supply.

This was running Windows 7.

You could try resetting the CMOS or taking out the one of the RAM sticks as a few start off points.

Reset CMOS.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Try reseating your graphics card and RAM.

It could be a PSU problem.

I say reset CMOS but is there a POST code LED on the board and if it does have one can we have the readout if it does show anything?

Also I need something more specific since the Extreme 4 covers a lot of sockets. I know you have the LGA-2011 version but if possible can I have the specific model number?

had exactly the same the problem was a leakage from my watercooling loop 

Do you have an extra pc? If so, try running the pc on that OS (But taking the HDD/SSD out) and then booting your, quite beast pc, on that OS so you/we can see if it is Software or Hardware... Or download a linux to a Usb drive.

• My System: MSI Z87-GD65 - CPU: I7 4770K OC 4.0 GHZ I7 4770 (3.9 GHz), Antec 620 watercooler - GTX 760 2GB/OC (MSI TwinFrozr IV) - 16 GB Kingston 2133 - 750w Energon - Zalman Z11+ HF1 - Storeage: 2x120 GB EVO 840, 3 TB Seagate Display: Asus 27" VE276Q | Planned upgrades: Gamdias Hermes ultimate, HyperX Cloud, MSI AMD R9 290x, 2x120 HyperX (Linux boot drives)

• Pedro19reddit: "A good console exclusive is like a Ferrari that can only be driven on a swamp." SlickPc "i couldn't even under-clock my 5 year old GFX card to be as slow as a "Next-gen" console #PcMasterRaceProblems

I've tried resetting the CMOS. The usual thing happens, all the standby LEDs switch off, then come back on and the fans all do a quarter turn. I'll try reseating the RAM in a minute. I doubt it would be a graphics card error, the PC should still power on even if both GPUs were dead.

Is there any way to test the PSU without a multimeter? I was planning to remove it, jump it and see if the fan in it would power up.

A quick update. I just jump started my PSU and it seems to be working fine. Next test will be the RAM.

Okay, I've fixed the issue. One of my GTX 680's is dead :(. Thankfully it is under warranty though. I'm still not sure if it is a problem with the card or if it is a problem with the power supply, though I have had trouble with one of the cards in the past (I'm not sure if it was this one).

After pulling out the power supply and jumping it, it seemed to be working fine. I reseated the RAM and GPU's and put the whole thing back together only to be confronted with the same initial problem. I then unplugged the 8+6 pin power from both GPU's and booted it up and one of them literally caught fire. I can see under the backplate a shrivelled black capacitor so I think, since the PSU wasn't plugged in at the time, that the GPU is faulty. With that graphics card removed everything is running smoothly however I cant help but fell that maybe the PCI-E power from the PSU caused the problem in the first place.