PC upgrade advice

revfal

Budget (including currency): ideally as little as possible (500-700 GBP)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Cyberpunk 2077, minecraft RTX, other games etc

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hello thanks for reading any advice would be appreciated

I built my PC in 2014 with i5 4690, gigabyte GA-Z97X gaming 5 mother board and 16GB ram (i think its DDR3?) and GTX760, CS750M PSU, upgraded to GTX1060 in 2018 and the setup has not changed since.

I was thinking of upgrading my GPU to an RTX 3070 or 3060ti depending on availability but I was thinking it might be a good idea to upgrade my CPU as well since its been 6 years which would probably mean new motherboard and RAM im assuming

Few questions

1) Was thinking of Intel Core i5 10400F or AMD Ryzen 5 3600 but it looks like the intel CPU is a bit cheaper unless there are other recommendations

2) If I get the intel CPU above what motherboard would be good? Was thinking of MSI H410M-A PRO Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard and am assuming will need to get new DDR4 compatible RAM?

3) Will there be much bottlenecking with this and a potential 3060ti/3070 or is it something that I should not be too worried about

4) Currently with my current setup I get 30-50 fps on cyberpunk on medium but I defo want at least 60fps since I have a 144hz monitor

Was thinking of getting CPU/motherboard/RAM stuff first around xmas time and the GPU whenever they restock 

5) If I keep using my GTX1060 with the proposed new CPU/RAM/motherboard will I see much improvement on cyberpunk 2077 and minecraft RTX? 

The 3600 is the better value overall among the two you mentioned. Get that with a B450 MoBo, a 3000MHz ram kit and wait for a 3060Ti or a lower end card to come in stock. 

If you only get the CPU & ram combo and use it with the 1060, there will be a slight increase in framerates, but not much to make a difference, certainly not much to drive the AAA games at medium to high settings at 60fps at 1080p.

And yes, regardless of whether you choose to go Intel or AMD, you'll have to get new RAM. and no, the 3600 will not bottleneck a 3060Ti.

PC: Acer Predator Helios 300: corei7-7700HQ, GTX 1050Ti 4GB, 8GB DDR4 2400MHz, 128GB SSD+1024GB HDD, Logitech G102 Prodigy+Circle Gaming Pro.

Hi thanks for the helpful reply, what about if I just straight up got a 3000 series card right now without upgrading my cpu/ram would that be a severe bottleneck?

42 minutes ago, r3m0 said:

The 3600 is the better value overall among the two you mentioned. Get that with a B450 MoBo, a 3000MHz ram kit and wait for a 3060Ti or a lower end card to come in stock. 

If you only get the CPU & ram combo and use it with the 1060, there will be a slight increase in framerates, but not much to make a difference, certainly not much to drive the AAA games at medium to high settings at 60fps at 1080p.

And yes, regardless of whether you choose to go Intel or AMD, you'll have to get new RAM. and no, the 3600 will not bottleneck a 3060Ti.

2 hours ago, revfal said:

Hi thanks for the helpful reply, what about if I just straight up got a 3000 series card right now without upgrading my cpu/ram would that be a severe bottleneck?

I suggest you look out for old 2060 Supers. That way you can still get reasonable performance gain without changing anything else. 

I think a 4th Gen i5 would definitely bottleneck a 3060Ti and above. I don't know exactly by how much. Safe bet is to get a high end card from last gen, there are 1080Tis in the wild, get one and be happy!

PC: Acer Predator Helios 300: corei7-7700HQ, GTX 1050Ti 4GB, 8GB DDR4 2400MHz, 128GB SSD+1024GB HDD, Logitech G102 Prodigy+Circle Gaming Pro.