budget Minecraft server

i have a $150 dollar budget and i want a survival mc server for around 7-10 people the only issue is it needs to be small and easy to setup/maintain. i am planning on getting this today.

Honestly, for $150 you're probably better renting a VPS. You don't have to worry about setting up secure access to your own network that way and you can scale it up if you want to add more players without a big upfront cost.

8 minutes ago, the gamer that is bad said:

i found an old pc i my attic it has 12gb of ram? and a 3rd gen i5 is that enough 

That should be plenty if you already have it. Just put an SSD in there if it doesn't already have one.

3 minutes ago, the gamer that is bad said:

i found an old pc i my attic it has 12gb of ram? and a 3rd gen i5 is that enough 

I don't see why not. I've hosted Minecraft servers with 10 concurrent players on the OptiPlex 9020 SFF in my signature without any significant performance issues.

Just now, the gamer that is bad said:

it dose not have any drive in ti

Get an SSD and install Ubuntu Server on it and you'll be golden.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

1 minute ago, PorkishPig said:

I don't see why not. I've hosted Minecraft servers with 10 concurrent players on the OptiPlex 9020 SFF in my signature without any significant performance issues.

Get an SSD and install Ubuntu Server on it and you'll be golden.

is ubuntu server a linux distribution? and is it easy to make a server in linux

4 minutes ago, the gamer that is bad said:

is ubuntu server a linux distribution? and is it easy to make a server in linux

Yes, it's Linux. If you have no experience with Linux or command line, it's a bit of a learning experience, but will ultimately perform much better than Windows.

There are plenty of good tutorials for setting up a Minecraft server on Ubuntu, such as https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-create-a-minecraft-server-on-ubuntu-18-04. Alternatively, you can use something like MineOS.

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

Yes, it's Linux. If you have no experience with Linux or command line, it's a bit of a learning experience, but will ultimately perform much better than Windows.

There are plenty of good tutorials for setting up a Minecraft server on Ubuntu, such as https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-create-a-minecraft-server-on-ubuntu-18-04. Alternatively, you can use something like MineOS.

wich os would you recommend for a dedicated mc server

wich os would you recommend for a dedicated mc server

I would go for Ubuntu Server for a headless server that you would exclusively connect to remotely via SSH, or Lubuntu if you want a graphical interface.

If you want a web interface for server management later down the line, Multicraft pairs great with Ubuntu.

Desktop

Homelab

I would go for Ubuntu Server for a headless server that you would exclusively connect to remotely via SSH, or Lubuntu if you want a graphical interface.

If you want a web interface for server management later down the line, Multicraft pairs great with Ubuntu.

i have no idea what half of that means but sounds good

i have no idea what half of that means but sounds good

SSH is a shell protocol, think of it as managing your server via Command Prompt. Your server is headless if you do not have a monitor connected to it. You can learn about Multicraft here.

Desktop

Homelab

SSH is a shell protocol, think of it as managing your server via Command Prompt. Your server is headless if you do not have a monitor connected to it. You can learn about Multicraft here.

thank you