What is this?

Joealex24

What's the difference between this and my router? I thought that the thing you get from your ISP (TG582N is my one) is an all in one router modem and switch.

16077902160064636991549605551070.jpg

7 minutes ago, Joealex24 said:

What's the difference between this and my router? I thought that the thing you get from your ISP (TG582N is my one) is an all in one router modem and switch.

The unit in the photo that your ISP provides you with looks like an internet gateway (combined modem, router, switch, and access point... if you’re also getting WiFi from it). Not all ISPs provide gateways; some cable ISPs provide only modems. What kind of internet connection do you have?

As to how it compares to your own router... Is it the TG582N? The TG582N is also an internet gateway, but seems to be for DSL connections. It’s also older generation technology with LAN port speeds maxing out at 100Mbps and support for 802.11n WiFi.

It is  - Genexis OGG1012

Fiberoptics doohickey.

I edit my posts more often than not

28 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

The unit in the photo that your ISP provides you with looks like an internet gateway (combined modem, router, switch, and access point... if you’re also getting WiFi from it). Not all ISPs provide gateways; some cable ISPs provide only modems. What kind of internet connection do you have?

As to how it compares to your own router... Is it the TG582N? The TG582N is also an internet gateway, but seems to be for DSL connections. It’s also older generation technology with LAN port speeds maxing out at 100Mbps and support for 802.11n WiFi.

That thing goes into the tg582n and then that goes to a mesh system. Is there any reason why the genexis thing couldn't just plug straight into the mesh system?

4 minutes ago, Joealex24 said:

That thing goes into the tg582n and then that goes to a mesh system. Is there any reason why the genexis thing couldn't just plug straight into the mesh system?

Also it was the router which was provided by the ISP I think the genexis internet gateway was there when we moved in a while ago 🤔