Off topic status update link

Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,
20 hours ago, fpo said:

Yknow how like sites that want you to enable cookies make it as annoying as possible to disable them?

I don't think we want to make it that annoying - more legitimate content gets posted in Off Topic than pointless stuff. However, trying a bit harder to push the pointless content to status updates than we currently do is probably not a bad idea.

In subforum like programming the body text tells you to put like the language and stuff. 

In off topic when you make a thread, you should have a pop up that says "pointless content should be relegated to status updates. Click here to make one now!"

And then a link to post their own status update. 

Then a little button that says "I want to make a full thread."

Yknow how like sites that want you to enable cookies make it as annoying as possible to disable them?

20 hours ago, fpo said:

I don't think we want to make it that annoying - more legitimate content gets posted in Off Topic than pointless stuff. However, trying a bit harder to push the pointless content to status updates than we currently do is probably not a bad idea.

HTTP/2 203

4 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

... Didn't we just recently have a discussion about not locking so aggressively...?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, LogicalDrm said:

... Didn't we just recently have a discussion about not locking so aggressively...?

Yes, and I'm not suggesting a change there. What might be valuable, as was suggested here, is proactively prompting users before they post their topic to make sure it meets the rules for Off Topic, and to post it as a status instead if it doesn't - this would involve less moderator interventions, not more.

HTTP/2 203