High-end large size gaming monitor dilemma

noyo87

Which one to pick ?

- LG CX 48

- Alienware AW3821DW

- Asus ROG SWIFT PG43UQ

- or Keep my Dell U3818DW... and wait for HDMI 2.1 gaming monitors next year ? 😢

A little bit of context:

- I work from home as a programmer on the day (on Mac), game at night (Ryzen 3800X, RTX 3080). 

- I would love to have GSYNC + HDR. However I know that going 4K will kill the framerate, especially if using RT. And I plan to play Cyberpunk 2077 eventually.

- I don't like 32:9 49 inches, way to wide for me

- I really enjoy the size of my 38 but it really sucks for gaming (60hz, no gsync, a lot of ghosting!)

- 43 inches seems nice, I'm a bit affraid of 16:9 48 inches of the LG CX.

- About OLED burnin, I'm aware of it and if I buy that display, I'll take extra warranty.

Advices, opinions ? Shoot!

38" UW's a nice format. If you like your Dell but want to add HDR+Gsync, maybe look at the LG 38GL950G-B.

Yeah, it's not HDR1000. It's one of the best panels you can buy though.

3 hours ago, LyondellBasell said:

38" UW's a nice format. If you like your Dell but want to add HDR+Gsync, maybe look at the LG 38GL950G-B.

Yeah, it's not HDR1000. It's one of the best panels you can buy though.

Correct me If I'm wrong, but I think the Alienware AW3821DW is using the same panel.

Do you know which one is best ? LG 38GL950G-B vs AW3821DW

I'll put my vote in for the LG CX 48".

I had planned on getting one myself , along with a new GPU, unfortunately GPU availability (and thus price), and lack of CX 48" black friday sales has put both above my budget, so ill be waiting until next year, maybe even next GPU generation.

Never the less, if u can afford it i'd still recommend the CX 48", the difference in image quality between it and a LCD monitor is night and day.

Thats said, u will have to alter you habitual usage to reduce burn in chance. Static images should be avoided, UI's, task bars, window borders, desktop icons etc.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

36 minutes ago, noyo87 said:

Correct me If I'm wrong, but I think the Alienware AW3821DW is using the same panel.

Do you know which one is best ? LG 38GL950G-B vs AW3821DW

Nope, I believe you're correct. They're the same panel, the Alienware is HDR600 as compared to the 38GL's HDR400.

The Alienware is technically the best panel, unless you prefer the look of the LG.

1 hour ago, SolarNova said:

Thats said, u will have to alter you habitual usage to reduce burn in chance. Static images should be avoided, UI's, task bars, window borders, desktop icons etc.

That's exactly what I'm afraid of. I'll use it as display for my work during the day. We can expect 8h+ of Operating System/Window per day.. 

1 hour ago, LyondellBasell said:

The Alienware is technically the best panel, unless you prefer the look of the LG.

That's the point, I don't care much about the look (even If I think the Alienware is ugly). Performance/usability are my main criteria