Do i need UPS/Stabilizer?

Cholax
Go to solution Solved by Guest,
7 hours ago, Cholax said:

Voltaje fluctuations won't damage components when they happen within voltaje input range? I am asking because these brownouts are happening quite often, like every 10 minutes. 

Correct.  Voltage changes won't affect the PSU as long as they're within operating range.

That's why Corsair stopped making 230V only PSUs.  When mains dropped below 180V, the PSU would shut off.  Apparently, these kinds of brown outs are common in SE Asia and India, but those are HUGE markets for entry level product.

It only costs $1.50 US to make a 230V only PSU into a full range unit.  In the grand scheme of things, it's an investment (as it out weighs the cost of customer support and RMA).

My build is:

• Corsair RM650x (gray label)
  • Ryzen 2600x
  • Nvidia RTX 2060

The PC is turned on 8hs+ everyday because i am currently working remotely.

The voltaje in my country is 220V. I've been experiencing frequent brownouts these days but none that would cause electronics to turn off. I recognize them because lights get dimmer.

I measured with a tester for some minutes and voltaje varied from 225V to 208V during the time i measured. This variation is happening through the whole day.

I honestly don't care about protecting data in case of power outages. 

Both my screen and the PSU have a range from 100V to 240V for input voltaje. Is a voltaje stabilizer or ups recommended? Which one?

For UPS I've checked what is available in my country and they are all with simulated sine waves and line-interactive.

If i get an UPS should it have a power output above 650W? 

Extra: Thunderstorms are frequent but in my neighborhood power lines go underground. There aren't power surge protectors installed.

EDIT: Actually, i found this UPS. https://www.apc.com/shop/id/en/products/APC-Smart-UPS-RC-1000VA-230V/P-SRC1KI

Is it ok for my build? Weirdly, it is less expensive than other options and it provides a pure sine wave. Unless i am missing something.

11 minutes ago, Cholax said:

frequent brownouts

This will wear your system components out faster, if you value your hardware, a UPS will be a smart idea.

I don't have a suggestion as to which one, but I can tell you that we use the following at work and are happy with them

https://www.amazon.com/APC-SmartConnect-Interactive-Uninterruptible-SMC1000C/dp/B078D6KZ98/ref=pd_lpo_23_t_2/132-7658855-2848003?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B078D6KZ98&pd_rd_r=bddfc694-9d08-46a6-a3ff-109296deba39&pd_rd_w=XMm7S&pd_rd_wg=r7CX5&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=RQVMD68M6H80XNPY8YZA&psc=1&refRID=RQVMD68M6H80XNPY8YZA

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

37 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

This will wear your system components out faster, if you value your hardware, a UPS will be a smart idea.

I don't have a suggestion as to which one, but I can tell you that we use the following at work and are happy with them

https://www.amazon.com/APC-SmartConnect-Interactive-Uninterruptible-SMC1000C/dp/B078D6KZ98/ref=pd_lpo_23_t_2/132-7658855-2848003?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B078D6KZ98&pd_rd_r=bddfc694-9d08-46a6-a3ff-109296deba39&pd_rd_w=XMm7S&pd_rd_wg=r7CX5&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=RQVMD68M6H80XNPY8YZA&psc=1&refRID=RQVMD68M6H80XNPY8YZA

What i don't quite understand is: Aren't these brownouts well within the input voltaje range? 

It is not like the PSU is getting 90V. Or are fluctuations just as bad even though they happen within the voltaje range? 

2 hours ago, Cholax said:

My build is:

• Corsair RM650x (gray label)

Fun fact:  They're all "gray label".

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

This will wear your system components out faster

No it won't.  He using components that are voltage stable all the way down to 90V.

It's not like he's using a 230V only PSU.

9 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Fun fact:  They're all "gray label".

I got confused with the old RM with orange label.

9 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

No it won't.  He using components that are voltage stable all the way down to 90V.

Voltaje fluctuations won't damage components when they happen within voltaje input range? I am asking because these brownouts are happening quite often, like every 10 minutes. 

7 hours ago, Cholax said:

Correct.  Voltage changes won't affect the PSU as long as they're within operating range.

That's why Corsair stopped making 230V only PSUs.  When mains dropped below 180V, the PSU would shut off.  Apparently, these kinds of brown outs are common in SE Asia and India, but those are HUGE markets for entry level product.

It only costs $1.50 US to make a 230V only PSU into a full range unit.  In the grand scheme of things, it's an investment (as it out weighs the cost of customer support and RMA).

On 12/11/2020 at 3:59 PM, jonnyGURU said:

Sorry for the late response! I've been very busy. Thank you for your answers!

I have one last question. Do you know if the UPS i posted in my first comment is ok for my pc? Power outages are quite common in summer so i've been considering it wouldnt do any damage to have one if i can get my hands on a decent one. 

4 minutes ago, Cholax said:

I have one last question. Do you know if the UPS i posted in my first comment is ok for my pc? Power outages are quite common in summer so i've been considering it wouldnt do any damage to have one if i can get my hands on a decent one. 

Yes.  Absolutely.  Totally overkill, in fact.   Usually only mission critical servers use these.

7 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Yes.  Absolutely.  Totally overkill, in fact.   Usually only mission critical servers use these.

Thanks!

Can you give advice on what i should be looking for? It is not that i want to go overkill with it. Just go with something that is good. 

I know what to look for in power output and capacity. But i have doubts about the UPS  type (offline, line-interactive, online) and sinewave shape. 

I understand the differences (at a very general level) but I dont know what i should be looking for my PSU.

2 hours ago, Cholax said:

Thanks!

Can you give advice on what i should be looking for? It is not that i want to go overkill with it. Just go with something that is good. 

I know what to look for in power output and capacity. But i have doubts about the UPS  type (offline, line-interactive, online) and sinewave shape. 

Line-Interactive is fine for consumer builds.

For example, if you're looking at APC, you could do Back-UPS 1100VA with simulated sine-wave or a Back-UPS Pro 1200VA if you wanted pure sine output.