All six SATA ports disabled for some reason.

Amokriin Prolgiid
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,
6 minutes ago, Amokriin Prolgiid said:

No, unfortunately it doesn't appear in disk management, and I don't know how to reenable them in BIOS. There's not really a prompt or clear option to do so presented to me. I'm trying though.

Normally if you go into advanced mode then find the SATA section you should have options there. Though normally the ports are enabled by default. 

So, this is my first build I've ever done and I can't for the life of me figure out why all six of my SATA ports are disabled. I have an intel i7-9700k cpu, an msi z390 gaming plus motherboard, an rtx 3060 ti, an archer tx50e pcie wifi adapter, a samsung evo 970 1tb NVMe SSD, and a seagate barracuda 4tb SATA HDD. Naturally, I want to be able to use the 4tb hdd, but for some reason, all six of my SATA ports are disabled, and I can't figure out why. I know that NVMe SSDs disable some of the SATA ports, but I don't think that's why all of my SATA ports are disabled.

SATA 2 is disabled with a SATA M.2 drive in M2_1 and SATA 5 & 6 are disabled when any M.2 drive is in M2_2. 

When you say the ports are disabled, how are you figuring out that they're disabled? Where are you looking for the HDD?

4 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

SATA 2 is disabled with a SATA M.2 drive in M2_1 and SATA 5 & 6 are disabled when any M.2 drive is in M2_2. 

When you say the ports are disabled, how are you figuring out that they're disabled? Where are you looking for the HDD?

I have 1 NVMe SSD installed in M2_1, and I'm looking for the HDD in the BIOS, where it identifies itself properly, but tells me that all 6 SATA ports are disabled. It even shows up in device manager, but won't let me do anything with it. I even tried switching which port it was plugged into multiple times, in ports 1,3,4,&6, but none of them worked. I'm struggling to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I consulted my mother board's manual and couldn't find anything useful. Any ideas?

9 minutes ago, Amokriin Prolgiid said:

I have 1 NVMe SSD installed in M2_1, and I'm looking for the HDD in the BIOS, where it identifies itself properly, but tells me that all 6 SATA ports are disabled. It even shows up in device manager, but won't let me do anything with it. I even tried switching which port it was plugged into multiple times, in ports 1,3,4,&6, but none of them worked. I'm struggling to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I consulted my mother board's manual and couldn't find anything useful. Any ideas?

Does it appear in disk management?

If they're disabled in BIOS, see if you can enable them, most boards now days support disabling ports individually. 

12 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Does it appear in disk management?

If they're disabled in BIOS, see if you can enable them, most boards now days support disabling ports individually. 

No, unfortunately it doesn't appear in disk management, and I don't know how to reenable them in BIOS. There's not really a prompt or clear option to do so presented to me. I'm trying though.

6 minutes ago, Amokriin Prolgiid said:

Normally if you go into advanced mode then find the SATA section you should have options there. Though normally the ports are enabled by default. 

Okay, so update, I've managed to enable the sata ports in BIOS, weird that they weren't enabled by default, however, I still can't seem to be able to use the HDD. It's still not showing up in disk management nor in file explorer.

Okay, new update, I can find the new hdd under disk management, I just didn't recognize it because it's listed as Disk 0, and not listed at the top. Though, it still won't let me initialize it for some reason. 

Okay, I figured it out. Formatting the hdd for use turned out to be a bit different from what I'm used to. But, it's working now, so I'll take it. Thanks for the help @Oshino Shinobu

• 1 year later...