New Monitor: 1440p 240hz vs 4K HDR1000 (Smoothness vs Image Quality)

Smoothness vs Image Quality  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Philips 436M6VBPAB or Samsung Odyssey G7?

• Philips 436M6VBPAB
    • Samsung Odyssey G7

Hello there. Just wanted to get the forum's opinions on this matter, so I can take some insight and decide between these two options (I'm really torn, not actually looking for validation on one over the other). I'm not really looking for any other suggestions, but if I'm dumb and there's an objectively better one that isn't much more expensive (I'm already stretching the budget here), please share.

I am currently on a 1080Ti, but plan on upgrading to a 3080 when there's plenty of stock/ people get buyer's remorse and I can get one used.

It can be your personal preference or your opinion on what I should get, with the considerations below:

[Samsung Odyssey G7]

- Resolution: 1440p

- Refresh Rate: 240hz

- Panel Size: 32in

- VESA HDR Certification: HDR600

Caveats: Has a 1000R curve, is smaller.

[Philips 436M6VBPAB]

- Resolution: 4K

- Refresh Rate: 60hz

- Panel Size: 43in

- VESA HDR Certification: HDR1000

Caveats: I've seen it has atrocious Local Dimming; don't know how distracting it would be in fast paced content. 

My usage is 70% media consumption (I am THAT guy that only buys the 4K HDR Blu-ray or downloads the 80GB movie), 30% gaming (Anno 1800, Civ5/6 and sightseeing games. Not a competitive FPS player, though I do play some). I also do occasional photo editing, but mostly as a hobby.

Thanks in advance.

1 minute ago, KuronoXD said:

My usage is 70% media consumption (I am THAT guy that only buys the 4K HDR Blu-ray or downloads the 80GB movie), 30% gaming (Anno 1800, Civ5/6 and sightseeing games. Not a competitive FPS player, though I do play some). I also do occasional photo editing, but mostly as a hobby.

Get a higher res display.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

14 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Get a higher res display.

Thanks for your quick reply!

It's not A higher res display, it's either one of those two, and I don't have first hand experience with how innocuous or distracting potentially bad local dimming can be.

5 minutes ago, KuronoXD said:

Thanks for your quick reply!

It's not A higher res display, it's either one of those two, and I don't have first hand experience with how innocuous or distracting potentially bad local dimming can be.

You seem to be very specific in what you're looking for-

My opinion would be to get both, and see which one you enjoy using the most (if possible)

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

6 minutes ago, Slottr said:

You seem to be very specific in what you're looking for-

My opinion would be to get both, and see which one you enjoy using the most (if possible)

Very specific, and those were the best compromise I found . Main priority is a good/decent HDR experience, and I like creature comforts (I think the Philips forgoes everything else to hit that 4K HDR1000 at a reasonable price).

Unfortunately I can't get both and decide later, as I'd have to pay the shipping if I was to return either and it's around $150 (and I'm not sure the original shippnig would be refunded, so I'd potentially be wasting around $300).