Recent problems with Internet

ForeverZero

Alrighty so here's a bit of background information y'all might like to know. So I built a pc approximately 2 years ago, and with our ISP provided modem, I decided I disliked being in the living room with the rest of the family being noisy, so I moved to my room, my motherboard having no built in wifi capabilities, I did the next and obviously best thing. Took an ethernet cable and a spare router near my room. Solution worked great for a while ( ~ 9 months or so that I can remember ) I hooked up my pc with ethernet via the lan ports on my router. But recently ( around a month ) my internet drops for no apparent reason, sometimes just for a second, other times it just stays off, and whenever I do windows troubleshooter. it gives me a range of errors, from no valid IP config, to no DNS response, sometimes default gateway. 

Solutions I've tried

-rebooting router and modems separately, together, one or the other, you name it.

-Changing lan ports. 

-If I lose my ip config, I can no longer acess my router via 192.168.1.1, and have to go unplug my router, then when plugged back in, hold reset till it resets everything.

-tried static IP settings, it worked sorta? once, but when I did ipconfig /all in powershell, boom ip it shows is nothing near what I input into the router settings. So decided to go to my IPv4 settings and change them to the same, no dice.

-DHCP breaks pretty often as well. same errors as above. 

Any suggestions on what I can? I'm not the most network savvy, so any instructions on tests or solutions please provide them if possible.

3 hours ago, ForeverZero said:

Alrighty so here's a bit of background information y'all might like to know. So I built a pc approximately 2 years ago, and with our ISP provided modem, I decided I disliked being in the living room with the rest of the family being noisy, so I moved to my room, my motherboard having no built in wifi capabilities, I did the next and obviously best thing. Took an ethernet cable and a spare router near my room. Solution worked great for a while ( ~ 9 months or so that I can remember ) I hooked up my pc with ethernet via the lan ports on my router. But recently ( around a month ) my internet drops for no apparent reason, sometimes just for a second, other times it just stays off, and whenever I do windows troubleshooter. it gives me a range of errors, from no valid IP config, to no DNS response, sometimes default gateway. 

Solutions I've tried

-rebooting router and modems separately, together, one or the other, you name it.

-Changing lan ports. 

-If I lose my ip config, I can no longer acess my router via 192.168.1.1, and have to go unplug my router, then when plugged back in, hold reset till it resets everything.

-tried static IP settings, it worked sorta? once, but when I did ipconfig /all in powershell, boom ip it shows is nothing near what I input into the router settings. So decided to go to my IPv4 settings and change them to the same, no dice.

-DHCP breaks pretty often as well. same errors as above. 

Any suggestions on what I can? I'm not the most network savvy, so any instructions on tests or solutions please provide them if possible.

Is this modem>router>pc or modem>router> router(configured as a bridge)>pc? If its the first then as you said it has a dhcp issue, download a tool called wireshark to analyze packets, this would tell if something on the network is conflicting

@ForeverZero

All of this sounds like you have a router behind a router.

What make/model of ISP device and router do you have? What some people call a “modem” is sometimes an internet gateway, i.e. combo modem/router/AP, which acts as a router in itself.

@Falcon1986

@cole0622

I believe it is a modem/router combo from my ISP. I'm pretty sure it is. I'm getting wireshark atm just in case, but it's probably more along the lines of Modem>router>router>pc Any suggestions?

30 minutes ago, ForeverZero said:

@Falcon1986

@cole0622

I believe it is a modem/router combo from my ISP. I'm pretty sure it is. I'm getting wireshark atm just in case, but it's probably more along the lines of Modem>router>router>pc Any suggestions?

What i was referring to was a normal router and a second router used to convert wifi to ethernet for the pc

4 minutes ago, ForeverZero said:

@cole0622

No, It's just my ISP provided modem/router > to router > my pc

Ok,make sure the modem is not plugged into the LAN instead of the wan of your router

1 hour ago, ForeverZero said:

@cole0622

No, It's just my ISP provided modem/router > to router > my pc

Then the second router must be configured to run in AP/switch mode.

A simpler way of doing this would have been just to use a switch instead of a router which avoids needing to do hardware configuration. But if all you've got is an extra router for now, then doing the above will convert it to a switch.

@cole0622

As far as I know, there's only LAN ports for my isp provided modem/router. I have the isp modem/router connected to my router via internet port. And one of the lan ports from my router to my pc.

@Falcon1986

AP/Switch mode you say? I'll look around the router settings to see if I can find anything. 

@cole0622

@Falcon1986

Alrighty so update time, I'm working nightshift here, so that's my schedule, I was the only one online period doing anything all night today. couple hours after everyone wakes up and connects to the isp provided router/modem ( no one realyl connects to mine unless it's bed time anyway ) since it's closer than the isp provided one, and it's going haywire again. Just had to do another reset, I'm litterally banging my head against the wall trying to figure out what's going on. The only information I could find about setting up my router to an AP what stuff I already had been trying for the past month. My router is a bit on the old side, but it's been pretty good till now for some reason, some minor hiccups in the past before but nothing ever this annoyingly terrible. Feel free to spit off any ideas you have I can try messing with. I'm open to anything at the moment.

Error.png

@ForeverZero the lan of the modem/router to the wan of your router, you can just use your router as a switch, though the isp could see all of your devices if they choose to, so I don't recommend it from a security POV

@ForeverZero

Please see setup instructions here. Ensure that static private IP that you use is not within the DHCP pool being used by the upstream gateway or else you'll run into IP conflicts. I'd suggest you reserve the IP address at the gateway; some devices will allow you to do this based on MAC address.

11 hours ago, cole0622 said:

though the isp could see all of your devices if they choose to, so I don't recommend it from a security POV

Versus doing what else? Not sure where you're going with this.

25 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

@ForeverZero

Please see setup instructions here. Ensure that static private IP that you use is not within the DHCP pool being used by the upstream gateway or else you'll run into IP conflicts. I'd suggest you reserve the IP address at the gateway; some devices will allow you to do this based on MAC address.

Versus doing what else? Not sure where you're going with this.

kinda pretending the modem/router is just a modem, the only thing this does is double NATs which is not an issue in most cases. his issue is he either has two different dhcp servers talking on the same lan or no dhcp server talking at all

On 12/7/2020 at 6:06 AM, cole0622 said:

kinda pretending the modem/router is just a modem, the only thing this does is double NATs which is not an issue in most cases. his issue is he either has two different dhcp servers talking on the same lan or no dhcp server talking at all

The evidence that the OP has revealed to us points to there being a competing DHCP server conflict, hence the linked instructions to disable same on the secondary router.

4 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

The evidence that the OP has revealed to us points to there being a competing DHCP server conflict, hence the linked instructions to disable same on the secondary router.

Yeah, if the conflicting server is from the modem/router putting it on the wan it will not conflict

@cole0622

@Falcon1986

Hello everyone! Sorry for bein gone so long, I tend to be away from my pc on weekdays, but here we go, a couple days ago I managed to set my router up as an access point. So far no issues that I've noticed, I will mesage again if it happens.