Mid range pc help

Budget (including currency): 1300$ Canadian

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: ARMA 3,  League of Legends, total war, Xcom, Civ, all while running discord.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): My friend only has a laptop, keyboard and mouse. He needs a monitor to go along with the computer, anything with a decent refresh rate and 1080p would be stellar.

Current build I have

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/DarkLordMatt/saved/HGDdmG

Mind me asking the change from Ryzen to Intel? Almost every guide I seen said that Ryzen is better for mid range systems like this.

1 minute ago, SomeGuyOnTheInternet said:

Mind me asking the change from Ryzen to Intel? Almost every guide I seen said that Ryzen is better for mid range systems like this.

The Ryzen 3600 costs more and is slightly worse for gaming

22 minutes ago, Daniel Z. said:

The Ryzen 3600 costs more and is slightly worse for gaming

That's more for the i5 K part, not so much for the locked part, especially factoring in some memory tuning to like 3600mhz CL16.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

25 minutes ago, SomeGuyOnTheInternet said:

And the memory you had there is 16-19-19, ideally you want some 16-16-16 stuff, or 3200mhz CL14 to overclock.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

18 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

That's more for the i5 K part, not so much for the locked part, especially factoring in some memory tuning to like 3600mhz CL16.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i5-10400f/21.html

In 1080p gaming, it's faster than the 3600. The better graphics card afforded by using Intel here vastly outweighs the CPU difference anyways.

4 hours ago, Daniel Z. said:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i5-10400f/21.html

In 1080p gaming, it's faster than the 3600. The better graphics card afforded by using Intel here vastly outweighs the CPU difference anyways.

The R5 3600 is 2% faster than the i5 10400F in that chart

The K i5 is indeed faster before memory tuning, but ryzen still also gives you a potential upgrade path as well.

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($279.99 @ Staples) 
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($98.50 @ Vuugo) 
Memory: OLOy WarHawk RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($76.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($69.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB PULSE BE Video Card  ($371.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Case: Antec VSK10 Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($94.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2458-mhd 23.6" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor  ($212.97 @ Vuugo) 
Total: $1255.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-12-05 01:40 EST-0500

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W