Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 in Fractal Design Define 7 Compact Case

Vikrant1105

Budget (including currency): £3500

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: CST Studio Suite 2020 for antenna design and simulations (3D/CAD)

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

AMD Ryzen ThreadRipper 3960X / 3.8 GHz processor 
ASUS ROG STRIX TRX40-XE GAMING - motherboard - ATX - Socket sTRX4 - AMD TRX40 
Crucial - DDR4 - module - 32 GB - DIMM 288-pin - unbuffered 
NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 - Customer Kit - graphics card - Quadro RTX 4000 - 8 GB 
Samsung 980 PRO MZ-V8P1T0BW - solid state drive - 1 TB - PCI Express 4.0 x4 (NVMe) 
Corsair HX1000i High Performance Series (1000 Watt) 80 PLUS Platinum ATX Power Supply Unit 
Fractal Design Define 7 Compact Mid Tower PC Case
Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3

Noctua NF-A15 PWM

Has anyone tried Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 in Fractal Design Define 7 compact case? 

I have not but if you are concerned about fitment the Fractal Design Define 7 compact has:

CPU cooler max height -169 mm

The Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 is:
Height (with fan) - 165 mm

On 12/4/2020 at 8:20 PM, ShiftyFadesofNay said:

I have not but if you are concerned about fitment the Fractal Design Define 7 compact has:

CPU cooler max height -169 mm

The Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 is:
Height (with fan) - 165 mm

Yes i did notice that, however, i'm not sure that if i populate all the 8 RAM slots with Crucial - DDR4 - module - 32 GB - DIMM 288-pin - unbuffered (CT32G4DFD8266), will i need to offset the fans on the Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 a bit upwards or will that not be required. I will be going for a dual fan configuration on the Noctua NH-14S.

1 hour ago, Vikrant1105 said:

Yes i did notice that, however, i'm not sure that if i populate all the 8 RAM slots with Crucial - DDR4 - module - 32 GB - DIMM 288-pin - unbuffered (CT32G4DFD8266), will i need to offset the fans on the Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 a bit upwards or will that not be required. I will be going for a dual fan configuration on the Noctua NH-14S.

I did find this on Noctua's website..

https://noctua.at/en/mainboard/Asus_ROG_Strix_TRX40-E_Gaming

It seems it is "mechanically Incompatible" by Noctua's standards. The list does have a few that are marked compatible. It does not state the reason though. It could be because it blocks the 1st PCI slot and not the RAM or vice versa or both. You may also be able to just move the fans up a couple millimeters to clear any Ram issues, assuming it does not block the PCI slot.

I also found this article with pictures if it helps, though it is not the same motherboard.

https://www.servethehome.com/noctua-nh-u14s-tr4-sp3-review-140mm-air-cooler-for-amd-epyc-and-threadripper/

"Fan interference with normal height memory DIMMs was relatively minimal, although the fan can be installed slightly higher on the cooling tower with the wire snap clips, if needed."

I hope this information is useful.

Noctua has generally excellent compatibility charts in the Services heading of each product page. It indicates that the NH-U14S TR-SP3 is compatible with the ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming. However, the KitGuru review notes that the fan(s) overhang memory slots. Without knowing the memory module height it is not possible to judge compatibility.

Given that there is only 4mm available to raise the fan it would be prudent to buy low profile, i.e. 32mm tall, modules. Corsair LPX or anything without heat spreaders.

Edited by brob
Stupid autocorrect

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

22 hours ago, ShiftyFadesofNay said:

I did find this on Noctua's website..

https://noctua.at/en/mainboard/Asus_ROG_Strix_TRX40-E_Gaming

It seems it is "mechanically Incompatible" by Noctua's standards. The list does have a few that are marked compatible. It does not state the reason though. It could be because it blocks the 1st PCI slot and not the RAM or vice versa or both. You may also be able to just move the fans up a couple millimeters to clear any Ram issues, assuming it does not block the PCI slot.

I also found this article with pictures if it helps, though it is not the same motherboard.

https://www.servethehome.com/noctua-nh-u14s-tr4-sp3-review-140mm-air-cooler-for-amd-epyc-and-threadripper/

"Fan interference with normal height memory DIMMs was relatively minimal, although the fan can be installed slightly higher on the cooling tower with the wire snap clips, if needed."

I hope this information is useful.

Hey, many thanks for the link.

As i checked on noctua's website, it shows that the cooler is compatible with ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming motherboard.

image.png.1d1093aa951ea6c94eb1a9f84fde5628.png

I'm unable to find the exact dimensions of the ram that i have selected. The only info i could find was on Amazon which mentions that the height is 3.12cm but i wouldn't want to rely on amazon. i will search a bit more before i buy. 

Thanks for your help.

image.png.ab4c080e9b86445effc4a9cfe5ed2e78.png

image.png.0af24d812ff351a471d043d7c8b1d2b8.png

20 hours ago, brob said:

Months has generally excellent compatibility charts in the Services heading of each product page. It indicates that the NH-U14S TR-SP3 is compatible with the ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming. However, the KitGuru review notes that the fan(s) overhang memory slots. Without knowing the memory module height it is not possible to judge compatibility.

Given that there is only 4mm available to raise the fan it would be prudent to buy low profile, i.e. 32mm tall, modules. Corsair LPX or anything without heat spreaders.

This is the ram module that I'm planning to buy but unfortunately I'm unable to find its dimensions on the OEM's website.

image.thumb.png.d5ee2ae30308d77571e2e151d1935737.png

image.thumb.png.0ef0182ff4fe21e3d5a89b5894b76e3f.png

That memory is no higher than 32mm.

1 minute ago, brob said:

That memory is no higher than 32mm.

Does that mean i'm all good ?

Means I wont have to move the fan upwards on the noctua NH-14 and therefore should be able to fit it in the Define 7 Compact case ?

I believe so. You could email Noctua and ask, support@noctua.at.

14 minutes ago, brob said:

I believe so. You could email Noctua and ask, support@noctua.at.

Many thanks. Have sent an email to Noctua. Will let you know if they reply.

Noctua has replied to my email and have given below feedback.

Greetings from Noctua! 

Thank you very much for contacting us. Due to the high number of support requests, there are unfortunately delays in answering them. Many thanks for your understanding.   

The NH-U14S TR4-SP3 in dual-fan configuration is fully compatible with these RAM modules and your PC configuration.

ASUS ROG STRIX TRX40-XE GAMING: Please note that this cooler is compatible in vertical orientation only (= fan(s) blowing towards the I/O panel).

Kind regards,

Your Noctua Support-Team

Couldn't exactly understand the last bit though. I hope this is what they mean that the cooler should be oriented like this:

image.png.d734bb1021bc7074072525d5e16435c2.png

It is. Looks like you are good to go.