CPU OC NOT SAVING

ImBl0ndu
Go to solution Solved by Hold-Ma-Beer,

The CMOS battery might be dead.

Hi guys

I just replaced my i5 9600K with an i7 9700k and i can t figure out how to save the oc. 

In bios, everything is saved to 5.0 ghz, but in desktop, when i open cpu-z it shows the lower speed. I also validate the result and its still 3.6 ghz.

I deactivate c-state and turbo mode (even if on the i5 it wasn t the case), the oc settings are the same as they were for the i5.

The thing is, even if i try to put 4.2 ghz, its still not saving, but my voltage is saved in cpu z. What in the hell?

I have a noctua ndh 15 or something like that. You know the cooler. 

I m using an ASUS PRIME Z390 P MOBO.

What should i do?

Thx.

Just now, Hold-Ma-Beer said:

The CMOS battery might be dead.

how did it die in the process of changing the cpu?

Just now, ImBl0ndu said:

how did it die in the process of changing the cpu?

You can check the battery using a battery tester that can measure the voltage of a button cell battery. Don't try to use a voltmeter as there won't be any load put on the button cell battery. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

3 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

You can check the battery using a battery tester that can measure the voltage of a button cell battery. Don't try to use a voltmeter as there won't be any load put on the button cell battery. 

i don t have such thing :))

1 minute ago, ImBl0ndu said:

i don t have such thing :))

Then you can just try to use a new battery and see if it works. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

4 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Then you can just try to use a new battery and see if it works. 

yep, im omw to the store :))

thx you.

I ll come back after i set up the thing 

Just now, ImBl0ndu said:

yep, im omw to the store :))

thx you.

I ll come back after i set up the thing 

You have the old "dead" battery with you right? Usually they are CR2032 style button cell batteries, check yours for reference on the + side. 

24 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

You have the old "dead" battery with you right? Usually they are CR2032 style button cell batteries, check yours for reference on the + side. 

nope, i didn t have it. And now im back with the new one. I ll just change it. 

Just now, ImBl0ndu said:

nope, i didn t have it. And now im back with the new one. I ll just change it. But i know the battery model. Thank you 

Just now, ImBl0ndu said:

nope, i didn t have it. And now im back with the new one. I ll just change it. 

Ok, that should be fine though. 

1 minute ago, CommanderAlex said:

Ok, that should be fine though. 

NO, IT IS NOT THE FUCKING BATTERY!

I changed the thing and its still not booting up with my settings.

Im thinking about throwing this pc on the goddamn window mannnnnn 😭😭😭

15 minutes ago, ImBl0ndu said:

NO, IT IS NOT THE FUCKING BATTERY!

I changed the thing and its still not booting up with my settings.

6 minutes ago, ImBl0ndu said:

Im thinking about throwing this pc on the goddamn window mannnnnn 😭😭😭

Lets not get to that point just yet...Are your turbo boost clocks set to auto? Anything related to turboing the core clocks would be helpful. 

13 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Lets not get to that point just yet...Are your turbo boost clocks set to auto? Anything related to turboing the core clocks would be helpful. 

yes, i think the turbo is on. I think i have 2 turbo options and i don t know which one is on or off.

Basically, i just replaced the cpu 2 hours ago. It was overclocked for the i5 9600k. 

Maybe i need to reset the bios to the factory settings? But idk how to do that...

5 minutes ago, ImBl0ndu said:

yes, i think the turbo is on. I think i have 2 turbo options and i don t know which one is on or off.

Basically, i just replaced the cpu 2 hours ago. It was overclocked for the i5 9600k. 

Maybe i need to reset the bios to the factory settings? But idk how to do that...

Advance/cpu configuration/cpu - power management control - turbo is on

c state is off

Ai tweaker/ internal cpu power management - turbo mode enable

The voltage is saved in cpu z, but not the clock ghz

And i have another problem. In cpu z, it shows me that i have 6 cores/ 6 threads.

what the hell?

6 minutes ago, ImBl0ndu said:

And i have another problem. In cpu z, it shows me that i have 6 cores/ 6 threads.

what the hell?

Definitely try and clear CMOS as that is an issue this should resolve. It appears good in BIOS right? 

Just now, CommanderAlex said:

Definitely try and clear CMOS as that is an issue this should resolve. It appears good in BIOS right? 

37 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

3 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Yes, in bios where i have the input values for the core clocks, i can count 8 core sections. But in CPU Z, it tells me i have 6 cores and 6 threads?!

How do i clear the CMOS?

9 minutes ago, ImBl0ndu said:

Yes, in bios where i have the input values for the core clocks, i can count 8 core sections. But in CPU Z, it tells me i have 6 cores and 6 threads?!

How do i clear the CMOS?

Well it should have been cleared when you pulled the CMOS battery and replaced it...What does the OS report? You can check in Device Manger-> Processors. Each one listed is a thread of your CPU. 

2 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Well it should have been cleared when you pulled the CMOS battery and replaced it...What does the OS report? You can check in Device Manger-> Processors. Each one listed is a thread of your CPU. 

in device manager i can count 8. So hopefully its not fake

32 minutes ago, ImBl0ndu said:

in device manager i can count 8. So hopefully its not fake

also, in user benchmark, my cpu is 6 cores, 6 threads.

1 hour ago, ImBl0ndu said:

also, in user benchmark, my cpu is 6 cores, 6 threads.

Back in Device Manager for Processors, did it list i7-9700k or the i5-9600k? If it still lists the i5-9600k but for 8 threads, try uninstalling device for them and reboot. It appears to be a bug.