Windows installing issues

Mr. Iowaa

I was trying to install windows on my new nvms ssd so i could switch from my old hdd. I got it installed on my sdd by cloning the old drive using easeUS partition master. I had already done a clean install of windows and dumped my files so it was just windows. It successfully installed but afterwards i couldnt get it to pull up in the boot menu. I enabled both boot methods and got the sdd to show up but now every time i boot it goes into boot error and i get black screened.

I am using windows 10 im my system.

My system:

Tower: corsair crystal series 680x

Motherboard: Asus b450

CPU: Intel i7-7700

Ram: 64 GB Corsair vengance 3600

Storage: 1Tb WD blue

500Gb samsung 970 EVO plus

GPU: EVGA Geforce 1070

5 minutes ago, Mr. Iowaa said:

I was trying to install windows on my new nvms ssd so i could switch from my old hdd. I got it installed on my sdd by cloning the old drive using easeUS partition master. I had already done a clean install of windows and dumped my files so it was just windows. It successfully installed but afterwards i couldnt get it to pull up in the boot menu. I enabled both boot methods and got the sdd to show up but now every time i boot it goes into boot error and i get black screened.

I am using windows 10 im my system.

My system:

Tower: corsair crystal series 680x

Motherboard: Asus b450

CPU: Intel i7-7700

Ram: 64 GB Corsair vengance 3600

Storage: 1Tb WD blue

500Gb samsung 970 EVO plus

GPU: EVGA Geforce 1070

My NVMe drive never shows up either, but it does work fine. 

Also, you say you formatted the SSD then cloned your HDD to it.... that defeats the purpose of the fresh format. Cloning a drive will wipe and replicate, so in a but confused as to why you did it that way?

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

42 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

My NVMe drive never shows up either, but it does work fine. 

Also, you say you formatted the SSD then cloned your HDD to it.... that defeats the purpose of the fresh format. Cloning a drive will wipe and replicate, so in a but confused as to why you did it that way?

I used EaseUS to 'migrate the OS' and then when that was done i had to go into the bios to enable uefi and legacy both in the boot tab in order to see the ssd as an option for me to be able to boot from it. But after i did that and all and tried to boot from the ssd i can no longer boot from either option. I didnt manually partition anything, EaseUS created all the partitions i was supposed to need on the new drive.

47 minutes ago, Mr. Iowaa said:

I used EaseUS to 'migrate the OS' and then when that was done i had to go into the bios to enable uefi and legacy both in the boot tab in order to see the ssd as an option for me to be able to boot from it. But after i did that and all and tried to boot from the ssd i can no longer boot from either option. I didnt manually partition anything, EaseUS created all the partitions i was supposed to need on the new drive.

Oh, I have never used easeus, not even sure what that does. Reset bios, see if that helps? I’m not sure, but fairly certain to boot from nvme you would need UEFI, the old drive may have been legacy. You can edit this is the registry, but you need to be able to boot into the old OS to edit it to make it capable of booting in UEFI. So you would have had to do that prior to migration.

Basically, I’d make it so your old drive bouts again, then edit within windows to allow it to boot with UEFI. Enable that in bios and make sure it still boots to old drive. Then plug in new drive and image it, I would just clone it with macrium reflect; 100% copy. Then there should be no reason it won’t boot. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s