HDD making sounds

CriNGEnaenae

So got a new hdd and it started making sounds from the beggining. Researched on it and tought it was failing, well after 5 hours of pure sadness. I tought about doing a diagnostic system test which came out all good no problems. Well i just shrugged it off and kept using the hdd for a couple days but its really worrying me, only makes strange sounds when reading or writing files. Kinda of a faint grinding noise. Like a very tough rubber saw like ridged surface rubbing against the edge of a table but very faintly. Should i take it outside of my computer and take out the top panel and run the pc or should i just buy a new one. Or is this a normal thing

New HDDs should not be making any sounds at all.  If so, there is a problem and I would return it and claim it as damaged. Most likely someone decided to be Lebron James with your package containing the hard drive. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Depends on where the drive is reading/writing on the platters. Also if the drive is coming out of sleep. Hearing the needle flick back & forth can be perfectly normal. Do you hear the rattling absolutely everytime you read/write or only sometimes when you read/write? Do you have backups?

3 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

New HDDs should not be making any sounds at all.  If so, there is a problem and I would return it and claim it as damaged. Most likely someone decided to be Lebron James with your package containing the hard drive. 

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Depending on where the drive is reading/writing on the platters. Also if the drive is coming out of sleep. Hearing the needle flick back & forth can be perfectly normal. Do you hear the rattling absolutely everytime you read/write or only sometimes when you read/write? Do you have backups?

turned off all my fans and listened. Its making them occasionally and it has a whoosing sound all the time

3 minutes ago, CriNGEnaenae said:

turned off all my fans and listened. Its making them occasionally and it has a whoosing sound all the time

Sounds like its operating normally to me then. That constant whirling noise is likely the spinning platters and the occasional clicking or jigsaw noise as you described it is just the needle flicking around on the platters.

If you're really worried about it just make sure you have proper backups of all your data (you aught to have these regardless).

11 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Sounds like its operating normally to me then. That constant whirling noise is likely the spinning platters and the occasional clicking or jigsaw noise as you described it is just the needle flicking around on the platters.

If you're really worried about it just make sure you have proper backups of all your data (you aught to have these regardless).

Dont even think i have a warranty even, Bought it from some electronic store that sold pc parts. Ridicilous they are, said the "dont have the video card instock"

They got video card switched up with motherboard and delivered the video card and didnt deliver the motherboard. Also i didnt even pay for the video card so i just could have gotten easy 500$ then an there. And when i called them back they didnt have a clue that i got it. So i was stuck with 2 video cards and 0 mobos and ordered from a new store. Returned the video card i wasnt supposed to get. 

8 minutes ago, CriNGEnaenae said:

Dont even think i have a warranty even, Bought it from some electronic store that sold pc parts. Ridicilous they are, said the "dont have the video card instock"

They got video card switched up with motherboard and delivered the video card and didnt deliver the motherboard. Also i didnt even pay for the video card so i just could have gotten easy 500$ then an there. And when i called them back they didnt have a clue that i got it. So i was stuck with 2 video cards and 0 mobos and ordered from a new store. Returned the video card i wasnt supposed to get. 

Interesting. Well you can continue to use it or pick up another drive then. Unless it has the click of death, just strait up stops spinning when it wasn't suppose to, or starts spewing errors then it should continue to work based off your description of the sound it makes. HDDs aren't silent devices.