Unstable PC

iruixos
Go to solution Solved by Godlygamer23,

The one stick is probably bad. When I first built my rig, I bought an 8GB set and the one stick was bad. Although I didn't get app crashes, I would get BSODs. Once I removed that stick, everything was smooth sailing.

Alright, so my brother's computer is not stable, and I can't find a good solution to fix it.

And before any trolls comment, I realize the RAM in the machine is probably bad, but please read the entire post.

Specs:

an older BFG 500W PSU which is fine

new MSI 970A-G46 mobo

brand new AMD FX-4100 CPU

new A-DATA FX900 128GB SSD

but the RAM is older Corsair XMS3 2x4GB sticks that I had not been using for some time, and IntelBurnTest (image) is giving me bad messages. However, when I tried to test my RAM in his machine (I have older Patriot 2x4GB sticks), the monitor would not turn on. His mobo does not have a MemOK button.

Speccy crashes on launch, and sometimes Firefox/Waterfox crashes after a while, and random BSoDs occur. I don't want to buy new RAM just to find out it won't work in his machine.

What do I do? This has been a big headache for quite some time.

Second IBT image: https://imageshack.us/a/img11/4206/34654471.png

tl;dr: IntelBurnTest is failing me. Is the CPU okay, is it just the RAM, or both? The CPU is brand new, the RAM is quite old.

GW2: Vettexl.9726

Make sure the CPU is compatible with the Motherboard...

So many things I could write here... things like this.

Make sure the CPU is compatible with the Motherboard...

Pretty sure it is, it's on the supported CPU list...

Pretty sure it is, it's on the supported CPU list...

Is the BIOS up to date? And even though the motherboard is brand new, the motherboard could be bad as well. Perhaps the DIMM slots specifically.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Are you overclocking the CPU at all?

CPU: Intel i5 4690k  GPU: Sapphire R9 290 TRI-X OC

Is the BIOS up to date? And even though the motherboard is brand new, the motherboard could be bad as well. Perhaps the DIMM slots specifically.

I have not updated the BIOS, but I hope the mobo is fine. X_x

Are you overclocking the CPU at all?

No, trying to get it stable first

I have not updated the BIOS, but I hope the mobo is fine. X_x

No, trying to get it stable first

Are there any CPUs lying around that would work in that motherboard? Any that you own? One...so we can see if it's the CPU, and (if that works) to update the BIOS. If it doesn't work, despite being compatible, then we can say safely it's the motherboard. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Are there any CPUs lying around that would work in that motherboard? Any that you own? One...so we can see if it's the CPU, and (if that works) to update the BIOS. If it doesn't work, despite being compatible, then we can say safely it's the motherboard. 

I literally have no AMD CPUs other than the one in this mobo, I usually buy Intel but as my parents were paying for my brother's computer, I opted for the cheaper AMD CPUs (which seems to be a mistake now).

I successfully updated the BIOS, and I can launch Speccy without it crashing now but have already got BSoD'd once with the message "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT"

Everything in the BIOS regarding clock speeds, etc. is on Auto/default.

The ram you tried that cause the computer not to post is probably not compatible with his motherboard. Also have you tried running all these programs in Safe Mode to see if they would crash? Also what about System Restore Point, have you tried that? lastly if you have any spare HDDs around i would put it in that computer and install windows on it to see if i still would have problems after a complete Factory restore.

"You are who you choose to be.....Choose"

See my Profile for my 

The ram you tried that cause the computer not to post is probably not compatible with his motherboard. Also have you tried running all these programs in Safe Mode to see if they would crash? Also what about System Restore Point, have you tried that? lastly if you have any spare HDDs around i would put it in that computer and install windows on it to see if i still would have problems after a complete Factory restore.

Not done any of that yet, and I'm *pretty* sure this RAM is compatible.

So I'm running memtest86+ v4.20, and many, many errors occured when I ran both sticks. I took out the one from DIMM_3 and still got errors. Now running the other stick and everything looks okay so far, so I wonder if it's just the one stick.

Once it has been run for a while, I'll try Safe Mode and the other things you suggested.

EDIT: Here's the RAM, seems compatible to me. http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=53427

EDIT2: I also have a minidump file ready to post once memtest86+ is done.

EDIT3: Here's a photo of memtest86+ and the one stick of 4GB RAM: https://imageshack.us/a/img248/9403/img0594i.jpg

Edited by Vettexl

Yea, if it runs okay with that stick the other may be bad, try another memory testing software if you have one just to see if it gives you errors also. The Ram may fit in the slot but if it runs at a speed the motherboard doesn't support, the computer might not post or beep.

See my Profile for my 

Yea, if it runs okay with that stick the other may be bad, try another memory testing software if you have one just to see if it gives you errors also. The Ram may fit in the slot but if it runs at a speed the motherboard doesn't support, the computer might not post or beep.

Do you have another memory testing software you'd recommend?

hey can you tell me how to put a link to my twitter at the bottom of my comments like yours? 

See my Profile for my 

The one stick is probably bad. When I first built my rig, I bought an 8GB set and the one stick was bad. Although I didn't get app crashes, I would get BSODs. Once I removed that stick, everything was smooth sailing.

hey can you tell me how to put a link to my twitter at the bottom of my comments like yours?

Go into your profile. You should see a section for your signature.

windows memory Diagnostic, its free and comes already installed in windows. Go to start and type in windows memory diagnostic and it should pop up, after clicking it, click restart to run the test.

See my Profile for my 

windows memory Diagnostic, its free and comes already installed in windows. Go to start and type in windows memory diagnostic and it should pop up, after clicking it, click restart to run the test.

Oh, I thought you had another one you were referring to xD yeah, I'll run that too later on. Memtest86+ is still running

EDIT: Still looking good. Hopefully this works now.... https://imageshack.us/a/img560/3231/img0595jy.jpg

Edited by Vettexl