Mini Itx 3090?

Go to solution Solved by Prodigy_Smit,
1 minute ago, Jonj91 said:

You don't think a FE 3080 would be okay?

It would be borderline on 85C. It should be fine but a 3090 will definitely not.

Budget (including currency): N/A

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Any

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I currently have a Phanteks Enthoo Evolv TG Mini ITX case. It's a dual slot case and I currently have a 2080 ti evga black GPU. The length is fine, but the height of the card is what is a tight squeeze. (See pictures below). I was wondering if anyone knew what my options will be for a 3090, or if I should just for-go the option entirely. I did happen to find a 3090 that is a dual slot card (see link below) and it looks slim enough that height won't be an issue, but it is a blower card. I don't want to get it if the temps are going to be insane. My 2080ti reaches around 81c under max load in my case, which is toasty, but definitely acceptable. Is there a better option that I'm missing? I don't think I've seen any other dual slot 3090s. Even a lot of dual slot 3080s look a little too tall for my case to accommodate. Just looking for some feedback. Thanks :)

SPECS:

I9 9900KF

2080TI EVGA BLACK

32 GB 3200 CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO RGB

Z390 AORUS I PRO WIFI

RM850X PSU

2TB SABRENT ROCKET NVME

1TB 970 EVO PLUS NVME

https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N3090TURBO-24GD#kf

20201201_132422.jpg

Scan - 2020-12-01 13_26_50.jpeg

That looks like a terrible idea. That 3090 is going to thermal throttle hard. The 2080 blower style already thermal throttles hard.

You could get a bigger case but I don't think its advisable to get a 3090 for such a small form factor. 

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

1 minute ago, PCoverclock said:

Well rtx 3090 generates lots of heat so you might have to think about that.

I haven't been able to find a lot of information about 3090 temperatures in mini itx cases. Even if temps are stable in larger cases, it doesn't necessarily apply to mine. What kind of temperatures do you think I'd expect to see? 90c? Higher than that?

1 minute ago, Smit Devrukhkar said:

That looks like a terrible idea. That 3090 is going to thermal throttle hard. The 2080 blower style already thermal throttles hard.

You could get a bigger case but I don't think its advisable to get a 3090 for such a small form factor. 

That was my concern, I thought it would be a neat thing to do, but it just might not be practical.

4 minutes ago, Jonj91 said:

Budget (including currency): N/A

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Any

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I currently have a Phanteks Enthoo Evolv TG Mini ITX case. It's a dual slot case and I currently have a 2080 ti evga black GPU. The length is fine, but the height of the card is what is a tight squeeze. (See pictures below). I was wondering if anyone knew what my options will be for a 3090, or if I should just for-go the option entirely. I did happen to find a 3090 that is a dual slot card (see link below) and it looks slim enough that height won't be an issue, but it is a blower card. I don't want to get it if the temps are going to be insane. My 2080ti reaches around 81c under max load in my case, which is toasty, but definitely acceptable. Is there a better option that I'm missing? I don't think I've seen any other dual slot 3090s. Even a lot of dual slot 3080s look a little too tall for my case to accommodate. Just looking for some feedback. Thanks :)

SPECS:

I9 9900KF

2080TI EVGA BLACK

32 GB 3200 CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO RGB

Z390 AORUS I PRO WIFI

RM850X PSU

2TB SABRENT ROCKET NVME

1TB 970 EVO PLUS NVME

https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N3090TURBO-24GD#kf

What games are you looking to play? Because the 2080 ti is more than enough. But if you REALLY want a 30xx series card, then I would wait for more options to show up or get a custom water cooled card. so you have enough room.

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” - Sun Tzu, The Art of War #muricaparrotgang

Tier Lists and Specs List Below

Motherboard VRM tier list  -----  PSU tier list

React if you agree with me!

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  |  CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC240 White |  RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB 3600 | Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A  |  SSD: Inland m.2 NVMe SSD 256GB  |  HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM |  GPU: RTX 3060 Ti FE  |  PSU: Seasonic SGX 650 |  Case: Lian Li o11 mini-W  |  Mouse: Razer Basilisk mercury |  Keyboard: Drop CTRL (Used. I did not spend $200 on a keyboard) |  Mouse Pad: Aura Mech Purple Storm  |  MonitorAsus TUF 24" IPS 144Hz 1080p

Just now, Jonj91 said:

That was my concern, I thought it would be a neat thing to do, but it just might not be practical.

Exactly. Sorry to say but besides water cooling you will not be able to upgrade the card in that case with a 3080 or higher.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

Just now, Smit Devrukhkar said:

Exactly. Sorry to say but besides water cooling you will not be able to upgrade the card in that case with a 3080 or higher.

You don't think a FE 3080 would be okay? It's a dual slot 3080 that should fit, but I wouldn't really feel comfortable putting something in my case that would reach temps higher than 85C.

9 minutes ago, jsugarman2005 said:

What games are you looking to play? Because the 2080 ti is more than enough. But if you REALLY want a 30xx series card, then I would wait for more options to show up or get a custom water cooled card. so you have enough room.

Anything and everything, it's not that I really need a 3090, just like a 70 year old man doesn't need a Ferrari, but it's just wanting to have it. I wasn't able to have these things in my early 20s, so now that I can afford them it's nice to splurge haha.

Edit: I don't know that a Hybrid card would fit due to the 240mm AIO only being able to fit on the top of my case. It would block the the radiator of the hyrbid card on the front or back. 😕

You don't think a FE 3080 would be okay?

It would be borderline on 85C. It should be fine but a 3090 will definitely not.

Desktop :

Laptop :

Anything and everything, it's not that I really need a 3090, just like a 70 year old man doesn't need a Ferrari, but it's just wanting to have it. I wasn't able to have these things in my early 20s, so now that I can afford them it's nice to splurge haha.

haha, i get that. If you have the money, you should go for a water cooled one, so then you have enough room + it looks great :) 

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” - Sun Tzu, The Art of War #muricaparrotgang

Tier Lists and Specs List Below

Motherboard VRM tier list  -----  PSU tier list

React if you agree with me!

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  |  CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC240 White |  RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB 3600 | Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A  |  SSD: Inland m.2 NVMe SSD 256GB  |  HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM |  GPU: RTX 3060 Ti FE  |  PSU: Seasonic SGX 650 |  Case: Lian Li o11 mini-W  |  Mouse: Razer Basilisk mercury |  Keyboard: Drop CTRL (Used. I did not spend $200 on a keyboard) |  Mouse Pad: Aura Mech Purple Storm  |  MonitorAsus TUF 24" IPS 144Hz 1080p

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I may just consider a 3080 if the temps are manageable and rebuild next gen in a larger form factor, although the mini itx has been a lot of fun. :)

11 minutes ago, Coolmaster said:

It is possible. 

Maybe I'll consider a different case then. That's impressive, I can't believe the guy was getting 68C. The Enthoo ITX suffers from mediocre thermals.