Plex / Plexpass question

Caennanu

Gday all,

As i can't seem to get my answers elsewhere, i'm hoping the community here can help me.

Recently i installed unraid, with pihole, teamspeak and a few other things, loving it.

Among those other things is plex to stream my media.

Now plex has a lifetime pass discount, but i really don't see the value in it.

I only use plex in my home environment, i don't use it to share to friends nor stream to my phone when not at home.

Also don't have any children so do not need parental control.

What are other benefits that would push me to purchase it?

Kind regards,

Caen

Gamesystem: X3700, 32GB memory @3200mhz, GTX1080 Hybrid

Unraid system: Epyc 7352, 24/48, 96GB ECC buffered @2666mhz, 2x GT710, GTX1050Ti

U get live tv and dvr and then u have better music. Most importantly u dont have bandwidth limitation/..  

And this is the best community for answering queries and helping each other...

Should u have any more queries   please quote and write back to me...  

Thanking you,

Yours faithfully,

Celeric07

2 minutes ago, CELERIC07 said:

U get live tv and dvr and then u have better music. Most importantly u dont have bandwidth limitation/..  

And this is the best community for answering queries and helping each other...

Should u have any more queries   please quote and write back to me...  

The DVR is really a no go for me, as i'm in europe / holland. And i'm about to switch to an ITV provider (ip / Vlan based). I can't 'just' install a tuner to use that feature (unfortunately).

What you mean with the music and bandwidth limitation?

Unraid system: Epyc 7352, 24/48, 96GB ECC buffered @2666mhz, 2x GT710, GTX1050Ti

Just now, Caennanu said:

The DVR is really a no go for me, as i'm in europe / holland. And i'm about to switch to an ITV provider. I can't 'just' install a tuner to use that feature (unfortunately).

What you mean with the music and bandwidth limitation?

Read this article https://support.plex.tv/articles/201751006-plex-pass-feature-overview/

Thanking you,

Yours faithfully,

Celeric07

@CELERIC07Aha right. 

Yeah DVR not an option, there is no such thing as 'free over the air' broadcasts anymore. Its all encrypted.

Parental controls - no need

Mobile sync - no need (also i don't have any limits on my mobile data)

Premium Music Features - Spotify works just fine

Premium Photolibraries - i only sync those as means of a backup

Hardware-accelerated streaming - so far haven't had issues, but this is a maybe

Bandwith and transcoding limits - since its in a docker i can already control these things, and with 500/500 fiber connection, not really an issue especially since i'm not using it outside the home.

So i'm geussing, i'm not paying for a lifetime pass.

Thanks for the link!

3 minutes ago, Caennanu said:

@CELERIC07Aha right. 

Yeah DVR not an option, there is no such thing as 'free over the air' broadcasts anymore. Its all encrypted.

Parental controls - no need

Mobile sync - no need (also i don't have any limits on my mobile data)

Premium Music Features - Spotify works just fine

Premium Photolibraries - i only sync those as means of a backup

Hardware-accelerated streaming - so far haven't had issues, but this is a maybe

Bandwith and transcoding limits - since its in a docker i can already control these things, and with 500/500 fiber connection, not really an issue especially since i'm not using it outside the home.

So i'm geussing, i'm not paying for a lifetime pass.

Thanks for the link!

good decision cuz i my self have not paid for plex...

Thanking you,

Yours faithfully,

Celeric07

1 hour ago, Caennanu said:

Gday all,

As i can't seem to get my answers elsewhere, i'm hoping the community here can help me.

Recently i installed unraid, with pihole, teamspeak and a few other things, loving it.

Among those other things is plex to stream my media.

Now plex has a lifetime pass discount, but i really don't see the value in it.

I only use plex in my home environment, i don't use it to share to friends nor stream to my phone when not at home.

Also don't have any children so do not need parental control.

What are other benefits that would push me to purchase it?

Kind regards,

Caen

if you have multiple people in your family (i personally have 6 direct family members)

i pay for plex pass to get managed users (kinda like netflix where you are asked to select who is watching before going into the libraries) so everyone can watch their tv show and it remember their progress, before this it was a hasstle to remember exactly where you were at especially if you are watching multiple tv shows. then a little after getting plex pass the plex dash came out for android and i use that to monitor my plex server when i am not at home

I did read something about only being able to have 15 managed users but I havent had any issues as of yet (i spam added users to see what the max was but didnt hit a limit)

1 minute ago, WickedStarfish said:

if you have multiple people in your family (i personally have 6 direct family members)

i pay for plex pass to get managed users (kinda like netflix where you are asked to select who is watching before going into the libraries) so everyone can watch their tv show and it remember their progress, before this it was a hasstle to remember exactly where you were at especially if you are watching multiple tv shows. then a little after getting plex pass the plex dash came out for android and i use that to monitor my plex server when i am not at home

I did read something about only being able to have 15 managed users but I havent had any issues as of yet (i spam added users to see what the max was but didnt hit a limit)

Thanks for your contribution. and totally understand where you are comming from.

For me however, i only have 2 users, if my better half is going to use it at all, we will most likely watch things together.

Without the DVR option, i don't see any bonus to being able to track progress seperately.

Just now, Caennanu said:

Thanks for your contribution. and totally understand where you are comming from.

For me however, i only have 2 users, if my better half is going to use it at all, we will most likely watch things together.

Without the DVR option, i don't see any bonus to being able to track progress seperately.

true, for your use case than it isnt worth it as there really isnt much benefit beyond the managed users and dvr (the live tv has a few chanels but they are mainly stuff you will never use, fail army is there though, probably the only chanel on there lol, but you could just watch that on youtube) 

• 1 month later...

Little late here. If your looking for a free alternative I'd suggest Emby, or if your more into open source jellyfin. Emby is a freemiem software meaning that for most of it it's free but there are some cool features locked behind a pay wall. Jellyfin on the other hand is completely open source. It's a bit harder to get used to for me but there is no money involved anywhere. 

At me or quote me, I want to hear your opinion.

Hopefully anything I say is factually correct. Sorry for any mistakes in advanced.