Upgrading & Concerns

Good day, forum. (God I have no idea how to write these things)

My brother  intrigued me two days ago as he found an offer for a 700€  ROG STRYX 3070. Coincidentally, I considered upgrading from my Stryx GTX 1080 to a 3070. However he was like "Buh your CPU sucks, your PSU is sh*t, don't even bother wasting your money". Now I want to hear from the wise people. YOU. Below is information of what I do, and what parts my build has. The main quesiton here really is:

Is this what you see below fit for a 3070, or should I upgrade more stuff? And if I were to just slot one of these boys in my PCI-E, are there any bottlenecks in my existing build?

Thank you in advance,

-RalphAlpha111

Budget (including currency): 1.000€ (flexible) 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: AAA games of 2020; incl. Watch Dogs Legion, DOOM Eternal, main usage goal: VR applications - VRChat, HL:A, light video editing for my dying youtube chanél

Other details:

CURRENT PARTS:

• MB: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • Cooling: Stock cooler (Wraith Stealth)
  • Video Card: Stryx GTX 1080
  • PSU: Uh.. an old 700 W unit from 2011 I think. It was in an old pre-built Dell PC, which is now dismantled.

GAMING PREFERENCE:

1080p - 120 FPS

VR:

Valve Index 120 FPS

GOAL: Upgrading to a 3070 with little to no bottlenecks, getting recommendations as to what I'm going to need to upgrade/watch out for.

Your brother is spewing bs basically. Yes the psu should be replaced simply due to it's age but otherwise totally fine pc. Your cpu is totally fine. Do you even need to upgrade tho? Is the 1080 holding you back in any way? I mean you are at 1080p which the 1080 still handles like a champ same with the index. A 3070 for 700€ is still 200€ overpriced and I would not go for that. Best thing you can do is have patience and just wait they'll come down in price and your current system is a very good gaming system still.

So tl;dr psu needs an upgrade when getting new gpu due to age, current system is still very very good, 3070 is very overpriced and should not be gotten right now

Yeah you might be right. I also forgot to mention I run 4x8 GB 3000 MHz Corsair Vengeance RAM.

Yeah it is holding me back a little honestly. Especially in VR - I see a lot of frame dips that make me nauseaus. I just hope that a graphics card with more "oomph" can result me in more stable frametimes. Thank you. And yeah I am going to wait quite some time either way. I might not upgrade right now in the first place, for whenever I buy anything my family judges me and it makes me feel awful. Soo yeah I'll wait until I have my own place then, I suppose. 

1 hour ago, RalphAlpha111 said:

Yeah you might be right. I also forgot to mention I run 4x8 GB 3000 MHz Corsair Vengeance RAM.

Yeah it is holding me back a little honestly. Especially in VR - I see a lot of frame dips that make me nauseaus. I just hope that a graphics card with more "oomph" can result me in more stable frametimes. Thank you. And yeah I am going to wait quite some time either way. I might not upgrade right now in the first place, for whenever I buy anything my family judges me and it makes me feel awful. Soo yeah I'll wait until I have my own place then, I suppose. 

That is odd plenty of people are running a index with those specs and it's running fine. Of course depends on the game. You could always just lower the refresh rate of the headset to prevent those dips happening.