Build List - Thoughts?

Siege Addict

Budget (including currency): $2000-2500

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: AAA Games, Photo/Video Editing, opening 1000 chrome tabs

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

My old pc just hasn't been cutting it, so I thought it would be time for an upgrade. I just wanted a second opinion before I pulled the trigger (besides the 3080 :(). Speaking of the 3080, I wasn't sure which manufacturer made the best one, so open to suggestions of that. In terms of airflow, I was planning on using 2 140mm fans as intakes in the front and a 120mm in the back as an exhaust. My case comes with two fans, but I wasn't sure where they would be most helpful. Thanks!

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nZnGj2

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($549.99) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($89.95 @ Amazon) 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5 g Thermal Paste  ($6.40 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 UNIFY ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($299.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Elite 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($159.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($229.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB Founders Edition Video Card  ($699.99) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($77.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($172.31 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: Noctua S12A PWM chromax.black.swap 63.27 CFM 120 mm Fan 
Case Fan: Noctua A14 PWM chromax.black.swap 82.52 CFM 140 mm Fan  ($24.90 @ Amazon) 
Case Fan: Noctua A14 PWM chromax.black.swap 82.52 CFM 140 mm Fan  ($24.90 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2336.40

More RAM! Gotta feed the hungry hungry hippo known as chrome!

But seriously, baring not being able to actually buy the parts on your list, it looks like a solid build. 

You might want to switch to 2x16gb RAM to allow for further upgrades in the future, but if you don't think you will want more than 32gb in the life of this system then that's not super important.

2 minutes ago, ArrowThief said:

More RAM! Gotta feed the hungry hungry hippo known as chrome!

But seriously, baring not being able to actually buy the parts on your list, it looks like a solid build. 

You might want to switch to 2x16gb RAM to allow for further upgrades in the future, but if you don't think you will want more than 32gb in the life of this system then that's not super important.

Exactly lol! Is having 4x8gb faster than 2x16? I get going with 2x16 for expandability down the road, but I'm realistically not going to upgrade within the next 2 years or so at least. And would you recommend a specific 3080 or is the founders edition fine? Thanks!

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($549.99) 
CPU Cooler: Deepcool ASSASSIN III 90.37 CFM CPU Cooler  ($79.98 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock B550 Extreme4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($144.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($139.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($229.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB Founders Edition Video Card  ($700.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($77.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion+ 660 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($114.99 @ Newegg) 
Case Fan: Noctua P14s redux-1500 PWM 78.69 CFM 140 mm Fan  ($14.95 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2082.76
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-27 21:11 EST-0500

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Not as far as i know. Even with four sticks Its still only dual channel memory.

wish I could say this from personal experience but sadly I have yet to see a 3080 in person let alone use one. From reviews I've seen the founders is the best base price model in terms of cooling and performance. Though the performance delta is like 1% so its within margin of error.

(Edit, I didn't realize op didn't post the second parts list, changed statement to reference this) @Herman Mcpootis

in the second part list there is only a 660W PSU, that won't be able to power a 3080 with its stupid high power draw. A 800w + is the safe range from what I've seen.

2 minutes ago, ArrowThief said:

Not as far as i know. Even with four sticks Its still only dual channel memory.

wish I could say this from personal experience but sadly I have yet to see a 3080 in person let alone use one. From reviews I've seen the founders is the best base price model in terms of cooling and performance. Though the performance delta is like 1% so its within margin of error.

in your new parts list you only have a 660W PSU, that won't be able to power a 3080 with its stupid high power draw. A 800w + is the safe range from what I've seen.

Ok - yeah I think I'm going to stick with the first PSU I chose (for upgradability too) but what is the difference between the p-14s and the a-14

Looks to me like its just the all around fan quality. The A14 appears to have fancy multi color bits. It also moves slightly more air with slightly less noise. Nice fans are bothersome to buy but worth it in the long run. They tend to last longer and be quieter.

36 minutes ago, ArrowThief said:

(Edit, I didn't realize op didn't post the second parts list, changed statement to reference this) @Herman Mcpootis

in the second part list there is only a 660W PSU, that won't be able to power a 3080 with its stupid high power draw. A 800w + is the safe range from what I've seen.

Spoiler

power_consumption-rtx3080-645x469.jpg

power

Power.png

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Founders Edition Review: The Superman of GPUs 28 | TweakTown.com

you got at least 4 reviews saying otherwise. this is also measured from the wall, so you can shave off 10-12% from the numbers.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

I could totally be wrong. As I said I haven't used one personally. Most of my power draw info comes from gamers nexus and Linus, but probably more Linus at this point. He (Linus) has said it has power spikes that can trip the PSU at times, so an 850w is where its most stable. But again, this is all second hand.

12 minutes ago, ArrowThief said:

I could totally be wrong. As I said I haven't used one personally. Most of my power draw info comes from gamers nexus and Linus, but probably more Linus at this point. He (Linus) has said it has power spikes that can trip the PSU at times, so an 850w is where its most stable. But again, this is all second hand.

Yeah, I an 850w for an extra 60 bucks is worth it for me in the long term (and I don't mind spending a bit more just to be safe). Also, what do you think of buying 2 sticks of crucial c16 16gb 3600mhz ram? Thanks for all the help!

Crucial is a good brand and 3600mhz is a good speed for Ryzen. Faster is always better but 3600 has a good price to performance ratio.