Never Built A PC before. Looking for help!

BlGMAN

Budget (including currency): £800

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: COD, City skylines, Football Manager, some video editing.

Other details I’ve never built a PC. Been looking at some specs but unsure about what to build. I want to build something around the AMD Ryzen 5 3600.

I am not familiar on uk pricing but if you are a first time builder i recommend you look at buildguides on youtube. There are plenty of videos in your price range and they show you some helpful tipps for building

Yikes. Can you clarify your expectations of building? Like, do you feel confident in someone teaching you, or the videos you're following? Do you need advice on how to build, or just a list of parts? Basically, ask a bunch of detailed questions and don't be afraid to ask anything you think sounds stupid.

For my take from what you've said here, outside of maybe video editing, I'd look into saving money to stay in your budget by getting a CPU with integrated graphics and forgoing a dedicated GPU. It depends on how heavy your editing workload is though. I don't know which igpu processor I'd recommend per se, but by the time you get a good dedicated gpu, you're covering about half your budget (if my snap mental conversion estimate to USD is correct.)

Given that you're looking at "not only gaming" I would DEFINITELY go AMD. A b550 board should be fine, features can go everywhere from bare-bones on the board, to built in wifi and bluetooth with watercooling channels, so lots of options. I'm personal a big fan of ASUS for mobo and GPU (if you go the GPU route).

So, that's my initial take. Post more like I said, and I'm sure the community here will get you on the right track. Just be as detailed as you can with the information you need to ask about, and like I said, don't shy away because you think you might sound ignorant. Ignorance is fine, we all lack knowledge and need to know something new. I'm dealing with that in my own post where I'm having trouble with my PC caused by power from the house, and I have NO idea where to begin. Welcome to the community.

2 minutes ago, Ruffleduffle said:

I am not familiar on uk pricing but if you are a first time builder i recommend you look at buildguides on youtube. There are plenty of videos in your price range and they show you some helpful tipps for building

Would you be a dear for the guy and link your recommended videos? I've found that when I've given this advice, some people have made choices they later regretted in who to watch... the Verge. Oh, I forgot to cough.

3 minutes ago, KageSong said:

Would you be a dear for the guy and link your recommended videos? I've found that when I've given this advice, some people have made choices they later regretted in who to watch... the Verge. Oh, I forgot to cough.

people actually followed their guide? But that is why ive recommended he looks at multiple guides, cuz noone is perfect and mistakes happen

1 minute ago, Ruffleduffle said:

people actually followed their guide? But that is why ive recommended he looks at multiple guides, cuz noone is perfect and mistakes happen

Well, yes, people have. The issue is that as builders we take certain things for granted. But when you've never done this before, there's nothing that screams at your instincts and says "that's the wrong way". You look at someone who says they know and do what they say.

This if you need a PC now.

If you can wait for the RTX 3060:

I guesstimated that the 3060 would be £300, although I gave wiggle room for it to be £350.

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

17 hours ago, Ruffleduffle said:

800 pounds is about 1000 dollars