GPU compatibility with old PC

jasim

I really don't know how people claim that they can upgrade their old pc with new GPU such as GTX16** or RTX 20**. What I mean by old pc I mean PC produced in 2012 or older with their legacy bios. From my research I found that in order to upgrade to new gen GPU you need to change bios mode to UEFI in order to have the graphic card works which it's not possible because UEFI is only exist in 2013 or newer pc. so for upgrading my Dell XPS 8300 I'm only stuck with GTX 10**.

Is there a specific setting to make new gen GPU compatible with old motherboards? I'm sorry if this looks dump but, I'm really I noob when it comes PC build. Please help with this matter and correct me if I'm wrong.

what cpu are you using? if it's that old, it probably would bottleneck anything above the gtx series anyway.

I've encountered compatibility issues if the motherboard bios is too old before (this was with a i7 860 and a GTX 1060), updating the motherboard bios made it work so you'd probably want to do that first

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

I have the latest update for my bios and I can't change to UEFI , so my question now what  best GPU can be compatible with legacy mode? please give me options from AMD GPU and NVIDA