One core running at 25c Higher Temps than other - which makes Cpu fan go BRRRRRRRR

Hi, I have the Pc with following specs :

Core i3 9100f 

Corsair 8gb 2666mhz ram

MSI GTX 970

Cooler Master v8 cpu cooler

Asus Rog b360h motherboard

Antec 300 casing

Seasonic 500w semi modular

So I put together all parts 3 weeks back (except 970) everything working fine except little but strange issue. Core #1 runs at 20-25c hotter than other cores on mild load or on full load ( Below attached pick is taken after exporting 1080 h264 video in premiere pro).

For example remaining cores are running at 50c on load but core 1 is running at 70c and jumping around ,which makes cpu cooler fan run at max speed (which is very loud like vaccum cleaner). I normally play CSGO DOTA and valorant and cpu usage hardly crosses 78% on these games. Other than that I do video editing for living and use Premiere Pro and After Effects for that.

Things I have tried :

used stock cpu cooler (temps are worst overall)

Replaced thermal paste.

Reseated Cpu.

Changed orientation of Cpu cooler to blow air through top vent

Undervolted by -0.135 using Intel xtu (max temp on core 0 fell to 65-69c and no fan speed fluctuations)

Cooler Master v8 is nice cooler with Good Tdp and 9100f wont be problem for it but somehow cpu is malfunctioning.

Looking forward to hear from you guys.

Thanks

Capture2.PNG

Edited by ChuChu Train

What are you using to load the cores for testing?

Are you using games or apps, or something like furmark that will load all cores 100%?

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6MHz OC  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 980 Pro 1TB, 950 PRO 512Mb, (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 UPS: APC Pro 1500 S

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

Could be that your CPU is simply turboing its strongest core. Adjust your fan curve so that it takes longer for it to reach a higher RPM -- plus an undervolt for good measure.

15 minutes ago, cr8tor said:

What are you using to load the cores for testing?

Are you using games or apps, or something like furmark that will load all cores 100%?

I used cinebench but Premiere Pro utilitizes all cores at 100% when exporting video. The games I mentioned doesn't use more than 80% cpu so temp for core 1 doesn't go up. I use Premiere Pro most of the time. 

8 minutes ago, alabistyr said:

Could be that your CPU is simply turboing its strongest core. Adjust your fan curve so that it takes longer for it to reach a higher RPM -- plus an undervolt for good measure.

Even when I undervolt (Intel xtu isn't giving me full control), still there is 15-22c difference in core temps and today I had first freeze due to undervolting. Is something physical wrong with cpu? 

3 minutes ago, ChuChu Train said:

Even when I undervolt (Intel xtu isn't giving me full control), still there is 15-22c difference in core temps and today I had first freeze due to undervolting.

Ease up the UV and go closer to stock.

7 minutes ago, ChuChu Train said:

Is something physical wrong with cpu? 

If you're that concerned you need to speak with Intel's support. It could be you lost the silicon lottery a little bit, but remember that every chip is binned and goes through validation, so it could just be how that CPU's cores are.

23 minutes ago, ChuChu Train said:

Is something physical wrong with cpu

Re-paste it, there's a chance its thermal paste related or mounting related.

re-doing the paste will hopefully affect the situation in a useful way.

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6MHz OC  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 980 Pro 1TB, 950 PRO 512Mb, (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 UPS: APC Pro 1500 S

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

7 hours ago, alabistyr said:

Ease up the UV and go closer to stock.

If you're that concerned you need to speak with Intel's support. It could be you lost the silicon lottery a little bit, but remember that every chip is binned and goes through validation, so it could just be how that CPU's cores are.

Opening up the lid is last resort. For now I will maybe undervolt it and I am gonna room casing front intake fan because that poor fellow is making "tick tick" noises when running at full speed. I have realised that pc temp only goes higher when under full load (Premiere Pro video exporting for me), so I will use it for another 6 months cuz I have a lot video editing projects to do and I can't afford ordering new cpu right now. 

7 hours ago, cr8tor said:

Maybe, but other cores should also go up if it is thermal paste issue. I reapplied paste just before making this thread and mounted stock cooler too to check if mounting was the problem. (Temps were above 80c stock cooler wasn't effective). Then I placed Cooler Master v8 on it. BTW I deleted all Asus motherboard utility software cuz they started to freeze when I undervolted pc or nothing would happen when I change fan speeds from the inside. 

On Facebook forum someone said to open lid and apply paste on the inside of Heatspreader so it fully covers the surface area beneath it. By removing IHS my processor will be naked like Laptop Processor die. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2020 at 4:34 AM, cr8tor said:

So , I removed the Cooler master v8 and got Akasa cooler ( for 50 cents) and applied dot sized paste this time . Now, akasa cooler is not that much noisy and temps make sense now. 

Pic 1 : temps are playing dota 2 and csgo for an hour .

1278362893_akasatemps.PNG.8442bdf2247cee98666b668f89b4dae6.PNG

Pic 2 : Running Cinebench for 10 minutes .

2139100633_tempsstress.PNG.63d954f18d7c692bf3b49d605fd6241a.PNG

Pic 3: Cooler I used

bb5fdd8bc5a51a8aed73359940d4b2ca.jpg.46c1adc8324952c4effc4e92826b9fca.jpg

Now temps difference between cores is 11-15c max which is standard according to Intel users and now I am looking for reasonable cooler in the range of 20-30$ to keep 9100f below 60c.

Thank you everyone for helping me out.