Virtual machine help

Hey so I was making a virtual machine and when I downloaded the vmdk file, I accidentally opened it in notepad and now it won’t convert back to its original format. I tried re downloading the file and that doesn’t work either. Any help? 

You mean chose notepad as the default editor for VMDK files? You need a hypervisor to run virtual machines, ideally VMWare Player or VMWare Workstation if you're trying to use  VMWare disk images.

Data is data, as long as you didn't save in notepad I'm sure it's fine, just notepad is gonna try and read the data as if it's UTF-8 which will just look dumb.

Platform agnostic software engineer & small business owner. 

47 minutes ago, exhaustedbrit said:

You mean chose notepad as the default editor for VMDK files? You need a hypervisor to run virtual machines, ideally VMWare Player or VMWare Workstation if you're trying to use  VMWare disk images.

Data is data, as long as you didn't save in notepad I'm sure it's fine, just notepad is gonna try and read the data as if it's UTF-8 which will just look dumb.

Yeah I chose more pad as default. I tried running the virtual machine with VMware but it says corrupted file 

1 minute ago, GeneralGusher said:

I tried running the virtual machine with VMware but it says corrupted file 

It may well be corrupt, but if all you have is a VMDK that's the equivalent of a hard disk in your hands. Try creating a virtual machine without a disk, if you know the OS on the disk choose a suitable OS to VMWare can expose the appropriate virtual IO/hardware then add your VMDK as a SATA device and see if it boots, assuming it lets you do that. If you're using an old version of VMWare or something like virtualbox and the VMDK is very recent you could run into trouble too.

Platform agnostic software engineer & small business owner.