Windows 10 install loop

ToastedKitten

I’ve read other people’s similar problems and solutions but nothing has worked for and I’ve been trouble shooting for hours. Pls help :(

MOBO: MSI Z270-SLI

CPU: i5-7600k

GPU: 1070Ti

Memory: 16GB DDR4

Storage: 1TB SSD 

I just took out my old HDD that had Windows 10 installed onto it and kept the SSD I’ve been using in so I can do a fresh install of Windows 10. 

Every time I use my USB to boot with the Media Creation Tool on it, I’ve been able to installed Windows onto my SSD partition. But when it goes through the restart process, it simply goes back to the initial Windows 10 Install. And when I get to the partitions, I can clearly see that it definitely got installed since there’s new partitions for recovery and space taken up on my SSD. 

I’ve gone through this like 20 times now, I just deleted all of the partitions again but figured I should ask on here, because now I’m getting the error:

”Windows cannot be installed onto this disk. This computer’s hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk’s controller is enabled in the computer’s BIOS menu.”

I’m at a dead end, and feel defeated lol 

I’ve tried taking out my USB before the restart at the end of the install.

I set my SSD as my first boot device in the lineup. 

I’ve reset my BIOS to default 

I have ACHI enabled. 

Also for some reason, even though I’ve been using Windows 10 for years on this mobo (on the HDD), under “Windows OS configuration” in BIOS, “Windows 8.1/10 WHQL Support” is disabled and “Windows 7 Installation” is enabled. I don’t know what this means, since I’ve done a fresh Windows 10 install before. I’ve tried enabling the Windows 8.1/10 Support but it makes it so I can only use UEFI and not Legacy. Which seems to make it so I can’t put my SSD as a bootable device since it’s Legacy.

Before the error, I’d install, take out the USB before the restart to avoid a loop, but it just took me to the black screen and says “insert boot device”.

Same with installing, and then entering BIOS before the restart.

Again, I’m at a dead end, this shit is super annoying and I have no idea what to do from here. Especially with this new error and the fact I have an essay to get done. 

Thanks in advanced.

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, you:

1. Boot from the USB made with the media creation tool
  2. Follow the instructions shown
  3. When prompted to reboot for the first time, you remove the USB and then reboot
  4. With the USB not plugged in, your computer boots into the Windows installer again, basically ending up at step 1 again

I have never seen anything like this. Do you by any chance have other USB drives plugged in?

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Try using EaseUS Todo backup and clone the hard drive contents onto the SSD. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

9 minutes ago, Speedbird said:

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, you:

1. Boot from the USB made with the media creation tool
  2. Follow the instructions shown
  3. When prompted to reboot for the first time, you remove the USB and then reboot
  4. With the USB not plugged in, your computer boots into the Windows installer again, basically ending up at step 1 again

I have never seen anything like this. Do you by any chance have other USB drives plugged in?

Sorry if I worded something weirdly, it only goes back to Windows Installer if the USB is plugged in. If I take it out before the first reboot that is required it goes to a black screen telling me to insert a media device to boot off of.

1 minute ago, ToastedKitten said:

Sorry if I worded something weirdly, it only goes back to Windows Installer if the USB is plugged in. If I take it out before the first reboot that is required it goes to a black screen telling me to insert a media device to boot off of.

Try updating BIOS, that could help. 

Athlon x4 840 @3.7Ghz MSI A68HM-E33 V2 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ SC GTX 750TI A400 120GB TOSHIBA 1TB MSI 200W 

25 minutes ago, shone32 said:

Try updating BIOS, that could help. 

How do I update BIOS if I can’t install windows and search for it? 

Just now, ToastedKitten said:

How do I update BIOS if I can’t install windows and search for it? 

Well you'll just have to use another PC and make bootable USB. You could ask some of your friends or something

Athlon x4 840 @3.7Ghz MSI A68HM-E33 V2 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ SC GTX 750TI A400 120GB TOSHIBA 1TB MSI 200W