Version 20H2 Broke Xbox Wireless Adapter

Appendices
Go to solution Solved by Appendices,

Checking the PID of the device in Device Manager and then searching for that specific PID in the Microsoft Update Catalog (catalog.update.microsoft.com) yielded some results. The reason it had failed before appears to be that there are a few different revisions of the Xbox Wireless Adapter, even outside of the two that I have, and by just finding the name, operating system, and architecture, I hadn't narrowed down the search enough. Looking for the specific PID and then going for the type of driver and finally architecture was enough to narrow it down. After downloading the driver manually and unpacking it into the Downloads folder, I could point Device Manager to the Downloads folder, and it would take care of the rest. Since these were official Microsoft adapters, there was no file editing required and I didn't have to turn off integrity checking. This method also ended up solving the Bluetooth adapter. The drivers may not be the most up-to-date, but I trust that by the next update, Microsoft will have sorted this out.

Following the update to version 20H2, both of my official Xbox Wireless Adapters (the 2018 and 2014 versions) ceased working. This has happened with all three of my machines: a brand new desktop, an older desktop with a clean install, and a laptop updated from version 2004.

I have attempted to manually install the drivers by following guides like this one and using the more recent drivers, but the device remains unusable as shown by the image.

My hunch is something has changed about the way network devices are handled, as the older desktop also has a driver issue with its Bluetooth adapter now. I could be off base.

Does anyone have a fix for this or am I relegated to wired controller for now?

You have to disable driver signature enforcement, then follow this guide. I have mine working perfectly.

https://tarantulo.lt/how-to/how-to-install-drivers-for-xbox-360-chinese-wireless-receiver/

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

8 hours ago, Levent said:

You have to disable driver signature enforcement, then follow this guide. I have mine working perfectly.

https://tarantulo.lt/how-to/how-to-install-drivers-for-xbox-360-chinese-wireless-receiver/

Unfortunately the guide didn't quite work for me, but it did lead me to a better understanding of PIDs. I'll cover more in my solution post.

Checking the PID of the device in Device Manager and then searching for that specific PID in the Microsoft Update Catalog (catalog.update.microsoft.com) yielded some results. The reason it had failed before appears to be that there are a few different revisions of the Xbox Wireless Adapter, even outside of the two that I have, and by just finding the name, operating system, and architecture, I hadn't narrowed down the search enough. Looking for the specific PID and then going for the type of driver and finally architecture was enough to narrow it down. After downloading the driver manually and unpacking it into the Downloads folder, I could point Device Manager to the Downloads folder, and it would take care of the rest. Since these were official Microsoft adapters, there was no file editing required and I didn't have to turn off integrity checking. This method also ended up solving the Bluetooth adapter. The drivers may not be the most up-to-date, but I trust that by the next update, Microsoft will have sorted this out.