Gigabyte Aero 14 (2017) issues

I've had a ton of maintenance issues with my 2017 Aero 14 over its lifespan:

-fan malfunction a couple months after i bought it, would tick back and forth

-thermal paste ran out way faster than it's supposed to, twice

-Internet connection would go out randomly a few months ago, driver would disappear

-insane thermal throttling on cpu even when idling/not gaming

-performance decreased noticeably compared to when I bought it

-keyboard recently stopped working altogether

Specs: GTX 1060, i7 Coffee Lake, 16gb RAM, 256gig SSD

I used to be able to get a solid 60fps on any game at recommended settings, and now I can't at all.

My friend told me that I can make some software adjustments and it will can run well again.  Does anyone have any advice?  I've updated all my Gigabyte drivers and NVIDIA drivers and it seems to make no difference.

BTW I'm very hesitant to even try gaming again on it considering how much the CPU has thermal throttled in the past.  While gaming it would get to almost 100*C I believe.

3 minutes ago, thevictator said:

BTW I'm very hesitant to even try gaming again on it considering how much the CPU has thermal throttled in the past.  While gaming it would get to almost 100*C I believe.

Laptop Processors reaching 100 degrees is normal, basically all laptops reach 100 degrees.

19 hours ago, Coolmaster said:

Laptop Processors reaching 100 degrees is normal, basically all laptops reach 100 degrees.

Hmmm, okay.  Still though, performance has decreased noticeably since when I bought it.  Games run crappily even on recommended or lower than recommended settings.  Do you think this is a hardware problem or something that can be fixed by adjusting some software?

On 11/19/2020 at 9:19 PM, Coolmaster said:

Ha. No. Just because they are designed to operate at that temperature doesn't mean they should. Cooler the better and cooler is achievable in almost every instance.

5 hours ago, thevictator said:

Hmmm, okay.  Still though, performance has decreased noticeably since when I bought it.  Games run crappily even on recommended or lower than recommended settings.  Do you think this is a hardware problem or something that can be fixed by adjusting some software?

Throttlestop or Intel XTU will allow you to undervolt (assuming your system hasn't been patched out thanks to plundervolt) and reduce your system temps drastically. Even a relatively tame undervolt of say -0.100V will make remarkable changes to your day to day system operation. 

XTU is more user friendly than Throttlestop, but both are relatively intuitive and there's a lot of guides to follow on youtube and the like.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.