Should I repaste my CPU?

I got a HP Elitebook Folio 9470m (i5-3437U, currently 8GB DDR3 single channel RAM, no dedicated GPU). Should I repaste the CPU, I'm pretty sure the thermal paste is currently just the stock one. I currently get around 65C CPU temp when just watching a few youtube videos. While it doesn't seem to thermal throttle according to aida64 it can still get pretty hot, like too hot to touch. Will repasting it actually make a difference in my thermal performance. If I do i would use Cooler Master MasterGel Regular as that's the only one readily available here. I tried undervolting it but then discovered its not supported on intel processors older then 4th gen. Pls if you have any other tips for cooling (other than obvious stuff like cleaning and making sure its on a flat, hard surface) feel free to inform my dumbass of them.

Edit: Also according to task manager the CPU often goes to and stays at 2.65GHz even though the turbo is only 2.4Ghz

Edited by TheEnchantedAxeYT

10 minutes ago, TheEnchantedAxeYT said:

I got a HP Elitebook Folio 9470m (i5-3437U, currently 8GB DDR3 single channel RAM, no dedicated GPU). Should I repaste the CPU, I'm pretty sure the thermal paste is currently just the stock one. I currently get around 65C CPU temp when just watching a few youtube videos. While it doesn't seem to thermal throttle according to aida64 it can still get pretty hot, like too hot to touch. Will repasting it actually make a difference in my thermal performance. If I do i would use Cooler Master MasterGel Regular as that's the only one readily available here. I tried undervolting it but then discovered its not supported on intel processors older then 4th gen. Pls if you have any other tips for cooling (other than obvious stuff like cleaning and making sure its on a flat, hard surface) feel free to inform my dumbass of them.

Edit: Also according to task manager the CPU often goes to and stays at 2.65GHz even though the turbo is only 2.4Ghz

Probably yes. Thermal paste dries up over the years. So it's good to change at least once a year. But that temps are not too bad. 

Main PC:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | RAM:Corsair LPX 3200 mhz (16Gb) 

Mobo:ASUS Strix B550-F Wifi | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z

Case: Sharkoon Nightshark RGB| Storage: 500 GB 970 EVO Plus 1 TB WD blue 500 GB Samsung HDD

Monitor: iiyama G-Master G2470HSU-B1 165Hz

Powersupply: Be Quiet straight Power 10 500 watt

Main Laptop

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H | RAM: Team group 16 GB 2666 mhz

GPU: RTX 2060 (MXM swappable)

Monitor: 1080p 120Hz

Storage: 2x 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (no raid)

Second Laptop

CPU: Intel Core I5 1235u,  RAM: Samsung 8 GB 3200 mhz

GPU: IrisXe 80 eu

Storage: 512 GB WD Digital SN530 NVMe

Phone:

Xiaomi MI 11

Work Phone:

Galaxy A50

If it's not throttling, I wouldn't worry about it. Repasting could actually make it hotter to the touch, as you get better thermal transfer to the heatsink (that is, if your CPU temps drop, that heat's going into the heatsink instead). But it probably wouldn't hurt anything either. If you need to be inside the guts for some other reason too, go ahead and do it. (For example, I just repasted a laptop because I had to take the heatsink off to upgrade RAM, so I figured while I was in there I'd do it. If I hadn't upgraded the RAM, though, I wouldn't have bothered.)

For how old that laptop is, it wouldn't hurt, just make sure to swap it with something decent and don't zap your laptop while you are in there.

I bought a laptop from the marketplace from the 6th gen era, and that's the first thing I'll do to it, along with making sure all the up to date drivers and bios revisions are slapped on before installing all the software and transferring data. 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

5 hours ago, Wolly9102 said:

Probably yes. Thermal paste dries up over the years. So it's good to change at least once a year. But that temps are not too bad. 

Good compound shouldn't need replacing for at least 5 years.  MX-4 for example promises 8 years. https://www.arctic.ac/en/MX-4/ACTCP00007B

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7