Need help with PSU [3900x + 2070 Super]

Hello,

I've been searching and getting confused all over the web. So I decided to bother you guys.

I'm getting 

Ryzen 9 3900x

EVGA 2070 Super

(m-ATX, 2x16GB | 32GB DDR4, 1 | 120GB SSD, 1 | 1TB HDD 7200RPM, 5 | 120mm Fans)

Its gonna be on for at least 16 hours. Don't care about the noise since the 5 fans are pretty loud.

I called bunch of tech supports from online shops here and everyone is saying different things. (One said 850, other one said 1200, one said 750 is fine)

Budget is pretty maxed so the cheaper the better, I was thinking Cooler Master MasterWatt 650 or SilverStone ET650-HG 650GOLD. (Also do the ratings matter?)

Thanks a lot for your help

Howdy and welcome :)

not sure exactly what you want to do. From the sound of it there is either a system you have but are thinking of upgrading, a system that has (undescribed) problems, or possibly you are thinking of building/buyin used a system new to you, or some combination of all three.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Howdy and welcome :)

not sure exactly what you want to do. From the sound of it there is either a system you have but are thinking of upgrading, a system that has (undescribed) problems, or possibly you are thinking of building/buyin used a system new to you, or some combination of all three.

Half and half on the upgrade, keeping some parts and buying new parts.

16 minutes ago, WE_Bang_OK said:

Half and half on the upgrade, keeping some parts and buying new parts.

So your system isn’t actually having problems now.  I would vote for holding off on any upgrade unless you’re actually having issues. Your hardware is more than enough to be top end for now.

PSUs do wear out.  Whether you will need to upgrade your PSU to keep things functional is unknown.  I highly doubt you will have cpu power issues for a long time. Motherboard isn’t mentioned so I can’t have an opinion there.  storage may become an issue but hasn’t yet and might not.  The tiny ssd/big HDD isn’t a bad situation to be in.  You may eventually combine both into a hybrid storage drive and get a much faster m.2 SSD, but again, hasn’t happened yet.  SSDs keep getting faster and cheaper so I see no reason to jump on that wagon till it’s rumbling by. Things have been quite slow to come out this year, and there’s still info to be gained. 

If you’ve got a dying PSU it gets a bit difficult, because until both new GPUs are put on shelves and tested for a while how much one needs is a bit up in the air.  Current conventional wisdom for PSUs is 1000w atm, but that’s mostly a “we don’t know what exactly may be needed but it won’t be more than that” kind of thing.  It will be somewhere between “more than enough” and “WHY?!”  If you need something that will work though a gigantor PSU with a good efficiency rating will work.   The deal with PSUs is all PSUs wear out eventually.  It’s just a question of how fast and how much damage they can do to other components if they go up.   I kind of which they had some sort of odometer or something. The site has a tierlist in the power supplies thread which may be very useful if you have a breaking-bad PSU. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

53 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

If you’ve got a dying PSU it gets a bit difficult, because until both new GPUs are put on shelves and tested for a while how much one needs is a bit up in the air.  Current conventional wisdom for PSUs is 1000w atm, but that’s mostly a “we don’t know what exactly may be needed but it won’t be more than that” kind of thing.  It will be somewhere between “more than enough” and “WHY?!”  If you need something that will work though a gigantor PSU with a good efficiency rating will work.   The deal with PSUs is all PSUs wear out eventually.  It’s just a question of how fast and how much damage they can do to other components if they go up.   I kind of which they had some sort of odometer or something. The site has a tierlist in the power supplies thread which may be very useful if you have a breaking-bad PSU. 

I think I didnt explain it well.

I am upgrading, getting (Ryzen, RTX, etc...) and keeping my HDD and SSD (upgrading later). I need help with calculating the power for getting a PSU. I have a low budget.